Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with microscope

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    I have made a micrscope for a class, and now i have to explain how it works. I followed the lens layout from this website http://www.funsci.com/fun3_en/ucomp1/ucomp1.htm, and I don't understand why I have the plano-convex lenses oriented the way they are. Basically in the objective I have two plano-conves lenses stacked with the plane sides facing the light source of the microscope, and I have two plano-convex lenses in the eyepiece with the curved sides facing each other (the Ramsden configuration). I just don't understand why I would need to use the Ramsden configuration in the eyepiece. Don't both sides of a plano-convex lens cause light to converge?? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It has to do with aberration correction- when both surfaces contribute optical power, the total aberration is generally less than if one surface was 'doing all the work'. The Ramsden eyepiece is symmetrical, and so the aberrations are minimized.

Spiffy project, btw!

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    Sweet...thanks for the info

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook