Need help with model rocket thrust

In summary, a high school physics student is seeking to find the thrust after adding 100g of mass to a model rocket, using an Estes A8-3 engine with a thrust of 2N in less than 1s. The original mass of the rocket is 35g and the student is also trying to find the average between the thrust before and after adding the mass. The student is confused about the concept of thrust and will ask their teacher for clarification.
Sienna1123

Homework Statement

Hi. I'm in high school physics, and as I'm only 2 months in, I still don't know much. We launched a model rocket as an experiment and I need to find the thrust after adding 100g of mass to the rocket's body.

The engine is an Estes A8-3. My teacher told me that its thrust is 2N in less than 1s.
The original mass of the model rocket is 35g, and we added 100g of mass to the body.
I'm trying to find the thrust after the 100g was added, and then the average between the before and after.

We haven't been taught anything about thrust and I don't have my book with me so I'm lost! I'm sorry if I didn't include important info, or if I seem like I don't know anything because I honestly don't in this case!

Thank you,
Sienna

Physics news on Phys.org
If the engine is the same, I don't see why the thrust should change. Are you sure you're asked to find the new thrust and not the new acceleration?

Nathanael said:
If the engine is the same, I don't see why the thrust should change. Are you sure you're asked to find the new thrust and not the new acceleration?
See that's why I was confused! I'm sure he said thrust. I have no clue what he means, but I'll ask him later. Thanks anyway :)

Thrust will depend a bit on velocity and velocity depends on the mass, but I think you can neglect this for your analysis here. Acceleration will certainly depend on mass.

Likes Nathanael

1. What is model rocket thrust?

Model rocket thrust refers to the force produced by the rocket engine that propels the rocket into the air. It is measured in Newtons and is the result of the combustion of the rocket's propellant.

2. How is model rocket thrust calculated?

Model rocket thrust is calculated by multiplying the mass of the propellant by its exhaust velocity. It can also be calculated by dividing the total impulse of the rocket by its burn time.

3. What factors affect model rocket thrust?

The factors that affect model rocket thrust include the mass and type of propellant, the design and size of the rocket engine, and the ambient air pressure and temperature.

4. How can I increase model rocket thrust?

To increase model rocket thrust, you can use a more powerful engine with a higher thrust rating, reduce the weight of the rocket, and optimize the design for aerodynamics. However, it is important to note that safety should always be the top priority when making modifications to a model rocket.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when dealing with model rocket thrust?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when dealing with model rocket thrust. These include following the manufacturer's instructions for the rocket and engine, launching in an open and clear area, and wearing appropriate safety gear such as goggles and gloves. It is also important to have adult supervision when launching model rockets.