Adding Voltage to Kids Powerwheels: Is it Safe?

In summary: If not, then the motherboard may not be able to handle the extra voltage and could potentially be damaged. It may be safer to use a SPST relay to bypass the motherboard and add the extra 6v directly to the motors. This way, the stock 24v will still run through the circuit, and the extra 6v will only be combined with the motors when the relay is activated. In summary, it is recommended to use a relay to add the extra voltage to the motors rather than through the motherboard to avoid potential damage.
CMJ
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd ask the experts. I have a kids Powerwheels toy that I would like to add more voltage to. The vehicle is setup with 24v stock and I would like to add another 6v bringing it up to 30v. I not really sure the motherboard can take the additional voltage. Would it be safe to use a SPST relay and add 6v directly to the motors, bypassing the motherboard? So my setup would be running the stock 24v through the entire circuit and the additional 6v would be combined just before the motors when the relay is activated?

Thanks,
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org

CMJ said:
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd ask the experts. I have a kids Powerwheels toy that I would like to add more voltage to. The vehicle is setup with 24v stock and I would like to add another 6v bringing it up to 30v. I not really sure the motherboard can take the additional voltage. Would it be safe to use a SPST relay and add 6v directly to the motors, bypassing the motherboard? So my setup would be running the stock 24v through the entire circuit and the additional 6v would be combined just before the motors when the relay is activated?

Thanks,
Chris

Are you changing the motors to higher voltage versions?

1. Can adding voltage to a kids powerwheels increase its speed?

Yes, adding voltage to a kids powerwheels can increase its speed. However, it is important to note that increasing the voltage beyond the recommended amount can be dangerous and damage the powerwheels.

2. Is it safe to modify a kids powerwheels by adding voltage?

It is generally not recommended to modify a kids powerwheels by adding voltage. This can cause the powerwheels to become unstable and increase the risk of accidents. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and not make any modifications that can compromise the safety of the child.

3. What are the potential risks of adding voltage to a kids powerwheels?

The primary risk of adding voltage to a kids powerwheels is that it can become too powerful and difficult for a child to control. This can lead to accidents and injuries. Additionally, adding voltage can also damage the powerwheels and decrease its lifespan.

4. How can I safely increase the speed of a kids powerwheels without adding voltage?

One way to safely increase the speed of a kids powerwheels without adding voltage is by upgrading the motor and battery. This should be done by a professional and following the manufacturer's guidelines. It is also important to regularly maintain the powerwheels to ensure it is functioning properly.

5. Are there any precautions I should take if I decide to add voltage to a kids powerwheels?

If you choose to add voltage to a kids powerwheels, it is important to take necessary precautions to ensure the safety of the child. This includes closely monitoring the child while they are using the powerwheels, only using it in a safe and controlled environment, and not exceeding the recommended voltage limit. It is also important to regularly check the powerwheels for any signs of damage or wear and tear.