Need help with Momentum and Collisions

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving conservation of momentum and energy. The problem involves finding the momentum before and after a block is released, as well as using conservation of energy to find the height. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help given by the expert.
mike305
Need help solving this problem
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/5854/chp851yx1.jpg

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to PF. Please give your thoughts on the question, before we can help. Better still, use the posting template with which you were provided!

What is the momentum before the block is released? How about after? Then you can use energy for the second part

the momentum before the release is 0, and after is 2. I understand that i need to apply conservation of momentum in this problem somehow, but I don't see a way so far.

mike305 said:
the momentum before the release is 0, and after is 2. I understand that i need to apply conservation of momentum in this problem somehow, but I don't see a way so far.

Conservation of mmtm states that mmtm before=mmtm after. Think of the total system. Before the block starts moving, like you said, pi=0. When the block hits the horizontal surface, the total momentum pf= 0.5*4-v2*m2. (The negative sign appears, since the block moves to the left.) From this you can find the velocity of the wedge.

Can you carry on from here?

Last edited:
v2 = 2/3 m/s ( to the left) ?

and for part b, should I use convservation of energy (potential and kinetic) in order to find the height?

mike305 said:
v2 = 2/3 m/s ( to the left) ?

and for part b, should I use convservation of energy (potential and kinetic) in order to find the height?

I've not checked you calculation, but yes, it's to the left.

For b, as you say, you should use conservation of energy.

thank you very much for your help :smile:

mike305 said:
thank you very much for your help :smile:

You're very welcome! :smile:

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in the collision remains the same, even if individual objects may change their velocity.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved before and after the collision. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. Some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound. In an inelastic collision, the objects may stick together after colliding.

5. How does mass affect momentum in collisions?

In a collision, the momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier object will have a greater momentum than a lighter object if they have the same velocity. In a collision between two objects, the larger object will usually experience a smaller change in velocity compared to the smaller object due to its larger mass.