Need help with Momentum and Impulses

• Thread starter UmarRules2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, we have a situation where a .450 kg arm is moving at 7.00 m/s and strikes a wall, coming to rest after driving the wall 1.00 cm. The duration of the impact can be calculated using the equation F delta t = m delta v, where we know the momentum is .315 kgm/s. Assuming constant acceleration during the impact, we can use the equation F=ma to calculate the average force exerted on the nail. It is important to check the decimal point in our calculations, as well as considering the impulse integral.
UmarRules2000
A .450 kg arm moves horizontally at 7.00 m/s when it strikes a wall and comesto rest after driving the wall 1.00 cm. Calculate the duration of the impact. What was the average force exerted on the nail?

Delta P = F delta T
F delta t = m delta v
F=ma

I know the momentum would be .315 kgm/s, but I'm not sure how to calculate the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Assume that the acceleration is constant during the impact.

I know the momentum would be .315 kgm/s, but I'm not sure how to calculate the rest.

check that decimal point!

Naty1 said:
check that decimal point!
Yeah, that too! :smile:

What does the impulse integral say?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a particular direction, while momentum takes into account both an object's speed and its mass.

What is an impulse?

An impulse is a force applied to an object over a period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time it is applied for.

How is impulse related to momentum?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the change in an object's momentum is equal to the impulse applied to it. In other words, the greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum.

How do you calculate momentum and impulse?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity (p = mv), while impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time it is applied for (J = Ft).