1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NEED HELP with my honors physics

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    1) A woman is driving up an inclined section of road at an angle of 10 degrees. If she is coasting up the incline, meaning that friction is zero since her tires are rolling and not sliding, determine the acceleration of her car.

Can somebody help me solve this?

THANKS.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What are the forces on the car, and at what angles do they act? Please post your attempts.

4. Jan 1, 2013 #3
    So there is a car going up a 10 degree road. There is no friction. There is force of gravity pointing towards the center of the Earth, and force normal pointing perpendicularly to the road. So there are only 2 forces. I have no clue hot to approach this. Thanks.

5. Jan 1, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In which direction is the car accelerating? What is the net force in that directuion?

6. Jan 1, 2013 #5
    It is accelerating up the incline. And I am not sure about the second question.

7. Jan 2, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You said there are two forces, gravity and the normal force. What are the components of those forces in the direction in which the car is accelerating?

8. Jan 2, 2013 #7
    Newton's second law will help you. Try it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook