What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the kayak?

In summary, a neutron star has a mass of 2.0 x 10^30 kg and a radius of 5.0 x 10^3 m. If an object falls from rest near the surface, it would have a velocity of 0.010 m after falling a distance of 0.010 m. For the second question, a person in a kayak with a combined mass of 73 kg starts paddling and accelerates from 0 to 0.60 m in a distance of 0.41 m. The magnitude of the net force acting on the kayak can be determined using the definition of force and the given equations.
Marcelgluch
neutron star has a mass of 2.0 x 10^30 kg, and a radius of 5.0 x 10^3 m
suppose an object falls from rest near the surface of such a star. how fast would it be moving after it had fallen a distance of 0.010 m? (gravity constant over star, and star is not rotating)

and

a person in a kayak starts paddling, and it accelerates from 0 to 0.60 in a distance of 0.41 m if combined mass of person and kayak is 73 kg what is the magnitude of the net force acting on the kayak?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show some work. The first question requires the equation for gravitational force, the second asks you to use the definition of force.

my prof wrote down some equations for the first one

Fg = G(mMn/Rn^2 = m(GMn/ Rn^2)

and then

Fg = mabut I am not sure about the second one...thats mainly why I am asking.. is because i don't know how to do it...

Marcelgluch said:
my prof wrote down some equations for the first one

Fg = G(mMn/Rn^2 = m(GMn/ Rn^2)

and then

Fg = ma

but I am not sure about the second one...thats mainly why I am asking.. is because i don't know how to do it...

Both are correct. They allow you to determine the acceleration a from knowledge of the other variables in the first equation.

okay.. but still don't know how to solve it..

k i think i get the second one.. but the neutron star one still is a no go

1. What is meant by "magnitude" in this context?

Magnitude refers to the size or strength of the net force acting on the kayak. It is a measure of the force's intensity.

2. How is the net force calculated for a kayak?

The net force acting on a kayak is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the kayak, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

3. Can the magnitude of the net force change?

Yes, the magnitude of the net force can change depending on the strength and direction of the individual forces acting on the kayak. It can also change if the kayak's velocity or mass changes.

4. Is it possible for the magnitude of the net force to be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the magnitude of the net force to be zero if all the individual forces acting on the kayak balance each other out, resulting in no overall force.

5. How does the magnitude of the net force affect the motion of the kayak?

The magnitude of the net force determines the acceleration of the kayak. A larger net force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller net force will result in a smaller acceleration.