Quick Tips for Writing a Scholarly Journal Article in a Month

• Thread starter cpburris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's panic about having to write an article for a scholarly journal in a short amount of time. Suggestions are given for alternative journals that accept different types of articles, and the idea of asking the instructor for examples of past publications is suggested. The student expresses gratitude for the help and decides to explore different types of articles and topics for their assignment.
cpburris
Gold Member

Homework Statement

So this is a rather odd question for this forum, but I really don't know what to do. For the English course at my college we just got an assignment where we have to write an article for a scholarly journal in our field and submit it for publication. We have less than a month to do this. In that amount of time I figure its pretty much impossible that I could come up with an original research topic, do the necessary background research, plan and execute the research, and write the article. I'm desperate here for ideas. Does anyone have an idea of some sort of article that I can produce in that short amount of time? A recommended journal I could look to write for? Anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
cpburris said:

Homework Statement

So this is a rather odd question for this forum, but I really don't know what to do. For the English course at my college we just got an assignment where we have to write an article for a scholarly journal in our field and submit it for publication. We have less than a month to do this. In that amount of time I figure its pretty much impossible that I could come up with an original research topic, do the necessary background research, plan and execute the research, and write the article. I'm desperate here for ideas. Does anyone have an idea of some sort of article that I can produce in that short amount of time? A recommended journal I could look to write for? Anything?
Well, Physics Forums Insights is kind of a scholarly journal that you can submit something for publication in. If that's unacceptable, then preparing a paper for a real peer reviewed scientific journal within a month is unrealistic. The articles for Insights don't have to include any experimental research or mathematical modeling, and can just be on a topic that interests you. The articles range in length from a few hundred words to a couple of thousand words. And it's easy to submit them, provided you do a good job.

Chet

Has this instructor given this assignment in the past? If so, can you ask to see what some of the published articles were, and what journals published them?

And if not, perhaps the instructor is not aware of what-all goes into publishing such a paper...

Awesome thanks! I think maybe I jumped the gun a bit on panicking :sorry: I found journals like Dartmouth Undergraduate Journal of Science that accept "Science Reviews", basically just commentary and explanation on recent scientific discoveries. In my head I was just stuck on "Oh well all physics publications are original research, there isn't anything else." I will definitely consider Physics Forums Insights too. I'll take any other suggestion on types of articles I could write though, as well as possible topics for a "Science Review". All the help is really appreciated!

berkeman said:
Has this instructor given this assignment in the past? If so, can you ask to see what some of the published articles were, and what journals published them?

And if not, perhaps the instructor is not aware of what-all goes into publishing such a paper...

That's a great idea. I didn't think of asking the instructor what other physics majors have done in the past. I'm pretty sure this assignment has been used in the course for years, so there is probably something. Thanks!

1. How can I write a scholarly journal article in just one month?

Writing a scholarly journal article in one month may seem like a daunting task, but it is definitely possible. The key is to have a clear plan and to stay organized throughout the writing process. Make a schedule and set realistic goals for each day. Break down the article into smaller sections and focus on one at a time. Also, make sure to prioritize your time and eliminate any distractions.

2. What are some tips for writing a high-quality scholarly journal article in a short period of time?

To ensure the quality of your article, it is important to have a well-defined research question or hypothesis. This will guide the direction of your article and help you stay focused. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly research your topic and use credible sources. Organize your sources and notes efficiently to save time. Finally, make sure to proofread and edit your article multiple times to catch any errors or inconsistencies.

3. Can I still produce a well-written article if I am on a tight deadline?

Yes, it is possible to produce a well-written article even with a tight deadline. The key is to prioritize your time and focus on the most important aspects of your article, such as your research question and supporting evidence. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from colleagues or a writing mentor to ensure the quality of your article.

4. How can I effectively manage my time to write a scholarly journal article in one month?

Time management is crucial when writing a scholarly journal article in a short period of time. Start by creating a schedule and setting realistic goals for each day. Make sure to prioritize your time and eliminate any distractions. It may also be helpful to break down the article into smaller sections and focus on one at a time. Finally, make sure to take breaks and give yourself time to recharge.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me write a scholarly journal article in a month?

Yes, there are several tools and resources that can help you write a scholarly journal article in a month. Some useful tools include citation management software, such as Zotero or Mendeley, to manage your sources and references. Additionally, there are various writing templates and guidelines available online that can help structure your article. It may also be beneficial to seek guidance from a writing mentor or attend a writing workshop for additional support and advice.