How Do I Solve a Parallel Circuit Problem?

In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving parallel and series circuits, where the goal was to find the total current in the circuit. The solution involved using the formula for equivalent resistance in parallel, and then applying Ohm's law to find the total current.
fcb

Homework Statement

27zztrc.png

Homework Equations

V=IR and What not

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted it many different ways
I need your help, I have preliminary exams coming up, Please do me a favour.

Regards, FCB

Physics news on Phys.org
Show at least one attempt.

ok so we have 5 ohm and 20 ohm , in parallel, which are both in series with 50ohm

now for equivalent resistance in parallel

1 / R eq= 1/R1 + 1/R2

ie R eq= R1 * R2 / ( R1+R2)

therefore we have ( 4ohm in series with 50 ohm)

then R eq= 54ohm ( add them when in series )

then apply v=IR to get total current in circuit

I= V/R
= 12 / 54

now when this current gets to the section where it splits in two, the current is divided and the majority of current goes throguh the least resistance

current through 5ohm = 20 / ( 25) * 12 / 54
current through 20ohm = 5 / ( 25) * 12/54

Your calculations are correct.

Hello FCB,

I would be happy to help with any questions you have about parallel circuits. Can you provide more specific information about the problem you are working on, such as the circuit diagram or specific equations you are using? Also, have you tried reaching out to your teacher or classmates for assistance? It can be helpful to discuss the problem with others and collaborate on finding a solution. Good luck with your exams!

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is an electrical circuit in which the current flows through multiple paths. This means that each component in the circuit is connected in a separate branch, and the total current is divided among these branches.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1-Rn are the resistances of each individual branch. Alternatively, you can use the equation: Rt = (R1 * R2 * R3 * ... * Rn) / (R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn).

3. What happens to the total resistance when more resistors are added in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance decreases when more resistors are added in a parallel circuit. This is because the current is divided among multiple paths, resulting in a decreased resistance overall.

4. What is the difference between a series circuit and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in sequence. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, so the current is divided among these branches. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. How do I calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total current in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula: It = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... + In, where It is the total current and I1-In are the currents in each individual branch. This means that the total current is equal to the sum of the currents in each branch.