How Do You Solve Complex Trigonometry Problems in Physics?

In summary, the person is seeking help with two physics problems: finding the shortest length of a highway between two towns and determining the height of an antenna based on different angles of observation. The solutions for both problems involve drawing diagrams and using trigonometry.
arielsnow
Hi, have a physics test coming up on Tuesday, and I was wondering if you all would like to help me out with a couple questions!

1)
A highway is to be built between two towns, one of which lies 70.0 km south and 72.0 km west of the other. (a) What is the shortest length of highway that can be built between the two towns, and (b) at what angle would this highway be directed, as a positive angle with respect to due west?

I need part b of this, the answer for a was 100

2) The drawing shows a person looking at a building on top of which an antenna is mounted. The horizontal distance between the person’s eyes and the building is 81.8 m. In part a the person is looking at the base of the antenna, and his line of sight makes an angle of 36.0o with the horizontal. In part b the person is looking at the top of the antenna, and his line of sight makes an angle of 39.3o with the horizontal. How tall is the antenna?

For this problem, i tried using 81.8tan(39.3) - 81.8tan(36) but kept getting a weird number.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can show us that weird number.

I got -3351.513245

Wait! My calculator was in radians. My mistake~
so i only need help with is part b for the first one!

For part (b), draw out a vector diagram, and relate the angle to the two sides of the triangle(use trigonometry)

Draw a picture and use trigonometry.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a branch of science that helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles governing the universe.

2. Why do I need help with physics homework?

Physics can be a challenging subject for many students, as it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and abstract thinking. Seeking help with physics homework can provide you with a better understanding of the material and improve your grades.

3. How can I find help with my physics homework?

There are many resources available for students seeking help with physics homework. You can ask your teacher or classmates for assistance, seek help from a tutor, or use online resources such as videos, practice problems, and study guides.

4. What are some common topics covered in physics homework?

Some common topics in physics homework include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. These topics cover a wide range of concepts such as motion, forces, energy, waves, and atomic structure.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, asking questions, and seeking help when needed. It can also be helpful to connect new concepts to real-life examples and to review material regularly.