1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Physics problem

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    Need help with Physics problem!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a baseball game, the right fielder flawlessly fields the baseball and throws to the catcher who is trying to tag a base runner and prevent a score. The right fielder is approximately 300 feet from home plate and throws the ball at an angle of 30° above horizontal. The catcher catches the ball on the fly exactly 1.7 m below the height from which it was thrown. Assuming the runner is 20m from home plate when the right fielder throws the ball, with what constant velocity will he have to run to just make it to home plate before the catcher catches the ball?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Re: Need help with Physics problem!!

Ahh, you have a whole list of problems to solve.

We need to see your work before we can help.

Draw a picture of the situation and then develop some eons.

Convert everything to meters ie 300 ft to x meters.

So it looks like the rt fielder throws the ball and the catcher catches it on the ground to explain the 1.7m difference in height.

1) so first using the vertical component of the velocity, the 9.8 m/s^2 gravitational acceleration and the 1.7m above the ground initial starting pt you have to determine when the ball will hit the ground.

2) Having found the time you can then determine the base runner's speed because he has to get on base just before the catcher catches the ball. You have the dist 20m and you have the time from part 1.

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    Re: Need help with Physics problem!!

Thank you very much for your reply. I think I will be able to solve the problem by making my initial position 1.7 meters above the ground. That is what I was doing wrong. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook