How Do You Determine the Radius of a Sphere If Its Mass is Seven Times Another?

• Thread starter ramin86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of a sphere with a certain mass and the average density of an object. The formulas for average density and volume of a sphere are provided and the conversation ends with the solution of 9.46984375 cm for the radius.
ramin86
I'm really bad at physics and need help with the following question:

Two spheres are cut from a certain uniform rock. One has radius 4.95 cm. The mass of the other is seven times greater. Find its radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
The average density of an object is:

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

Where m is mass and V is volume

The volume of a sphere is:

[tex]V = \frac{4\pi}{3} r^3[/tex]

Where r is the radius.

These are the only two formulas you need.

Does this look familiar?

[tex]\frac {R_1}{R_2} = \left(\frac{M_1}{M_2}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Alright, well I got a volume of 508.05 for the sphere with a radius of 4.95, but still not exactly sure of where to go from here.

Okay, nevermind, I got the answer at 9.469

1. What is the best approach to solving a physics question?

The best approach to solving a physics question is to first understand the underlying principles and concepts involved. Then, break down the question into smaller, more manageable parts. Finally, use equations and formulas to solve each part and then combine the solutions to arrive at the final answer.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to practice solving a variety of problems. This will help you to become more familiar with the application of different concepts and identify any areas where you may need further study. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

3. What resources can I use to help me with my physics questions?

There are many resources available to help with physics questions, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, many universities and colleges have tutoring centers or academic support services that offer help with physics questions.

4. How can I check if my answer to a physics question is correct?

You can check if your answer to a physics question is correct by comparing it to the given answer or using a trusted physics calculator. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and make sure you used the correct units and significant figures.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics questions include using the wrong formula or equation, not paying attention to units, and not considering all the relevant variables. It is important to carefully read the question and make sure you understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it.