Need help with polarcoordinates please

• Thread starter DabbisH
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the polar coordinates of a complex number and calculating its exponential form using Euler's formula. The task involves converting z = -2 + 2i√3 into polar form and finding z^22 in the form of a + ib. The speaker is seeking help from the PH Forums and is asked to show their attempts and where they need assistance.
DabbisH
Hello, first of all lovely forums you have here. I would love to get some help with this task please.

Task:

In this exercise is z = -2 + 2i√3.

a) Find the polar coordinates of z.
b) Find z^22 and enter the number of the form a + ibThank you,

Greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PH Forums.

Please show what you have tried and where you are stuck so that we can help you.

polar form of a complex number is

[tex]z=re^{i \theta}[/tex]

so you have to convert your number in this form. To do it, use Euler's formula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a plane using a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from a reference line. This is different from Cartesian coordinates, which use x and y coordinates.

2. How do I convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)
where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the reference line.

3. How do I graph polar coordinates?

To graph polar coordinates, you can plot the point on a polar coordinate plane using the distance from the origin as the radius and the angle from the reference line as the angle of rotation. You can also use the conversion formulas to convert the polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates and graph them on a Cartesian coordinate plane.

4. What is the purpose of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are useful for representing points in a plane that have a radial component, such as in polar graphs or in situations involving circular motion. They are also used in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in complex numbers and vector analysis.

5. How do I perform basic operations with polar coordinates?

To perform basic operations with polar coordinates, you can use the distance and angle measurements to add, subtract, multiply, or divide points. You can also use the conversion formulas to convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates and perform operations using Cartesian coordinates.