What Are Some General Physics Books to Complement Resnick and Halliday?

In summary, the speaker is looking for general books on physics to supplement their current reading of Resnik and Halliday. They prefer non-technical material and are specifically interested in classical mechanics and electromagnetism. Some suggestions provided by others are Isaac Asimov's Understanding Physics, Magnetism an Introductory Survey by Lee, A History of Electricity and Magnetism by Meyer, Driving Force by Livingston, Magnets by McKeehan, Magnets by Bitter (a biography), Magnetism by Blundell, Superconductivity by Blundell, and The Maxwellians by Hunt.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
I am currently reading some introductory physics. I am following resnik and Halliday. Can anyone suggest me some good general books on physics which would go comfortably with my resnik book. I need to read some general material not something technical. If possible on classical mechanics and electromagnetism since that have I covered.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try Issac Asimov's Understanding Physics (Motion, Sound, and Heat / Light, Magnetism, and Electricity / The Electron, Proton, and Neutron) originally in three volumes. Not much math. It was written for the average person.

• Informative
Likes CalcNerd and berkeman
Magnetism an Introductory Survey by Lee
A History of Electricity and Magnetism by Meyer
Driving Force by Livingston
Magnets by McKeehan
Magnets by Bitter (this is a bio)
Magnetism by Blundell
Superconductivity by Blundell
The Maxwellians by Hunt

Likes vanhees71

1. What are some popular science books that you recommend?

Some popular science books that I recommend are "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, and "The Gene: An Intimate History" by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

2. Are there any popular science books that are easy for beginners to understand?

Yes, there are many popular science books that are written in a way that is easy for beginners to understand. Some examples include "The Magic of Reality" by Richard Dawkins, "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

3. Can you recommend any popular science books for children?

Yes, some popular science books for children include "The Magic School Bus" series by Joanna Cole, "The Way Things Work" by David Macaulay, "National Geographic Kids Everything" series, and "Ada Twist, Scientist" by Andrea Beaty.

4. Are there any popular science books that focus on a specific topic or field?

Yes, there are many popular science books that focus on specific topics or fields such as biology, physics, neuroscience, and astronomy. Some examples include "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot (biology), "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene (physics), "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge (neuroscience), and "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan (astronomy).

5. Can you recommend any popular science books that have been made into movies or TV shows?

Yes, some popular science books that have been adapted into movies or TV shows include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe, and "The Martian" by Andy Weir.