• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Need help with precal project

• Thread starter jcoolio12
  • Start date
Hey guys. For my honors precal class, we just started learning about graphing polars and all that nonsense and we have a project due thursday where we have to make up out own polar formula and then draw the graph. I really want to do something cool but I can't think of anything. Please help!

Answers and Replies

gb7nash
Homework Helper
Your question is pretty vague. If all you have to do is pick something to graph, just do r = cos(theta)

Well I mean like I want something cool looking when u put it in the calculator

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
"Cool" is in the eye of the beholder. What about

r = cos(2θ)+cos(4θ)

@LCKurtz, thank you very much. I sat for like 30mins doing random formulas and half the time I'd just get circles and others just a bunch of scattered lines and stuff. but thanks, thats the one I'll use

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
@LCKurtz, thank you very much. I sat for like 30mins doing random formulas and half the time I'd just get circles and others just a bunch of scattered lines and stuff. but thanks, thats the one I'll use
You're welcome. If you change the cos(4θ) so sin(4θ) you get a nice looking dragonfly.

Alright, I turned in the project today. I colored it all beautifully and with my teacher's favorite colors so I hope it all goes well. I'll keep ya posted!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=r+%3D+cos%28100*%CE%B8%29^%CE%B8+%2B+%CE%B8*200

Though it's too late, that looks cool to me.