Solving Static Friction Problem with Block Weights | Physics Homework Help

• Thread starter Xiongster
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum weight of block m_{2} that will keep block m_{1} at rest on a table with a coefficient of static friction of 0.24 and an angle of 25.0 degrees. The attempt at a solution involves drawing a free body diagram and solving for the tension in the rope connecting the blocks. The final answer is 97.9 Newtons, which was confirmed by multiple individuals.
Xiongster

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a problem here and I need some help on it. The problem is this:

prob07.gif

block m[tex]_{1}[/tex] weighs 875 N. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the table is 0.24 and the angle theta is 25.0[tex]\circ[/tex]. Find the maximum weight of block m[tex]_{2}[/tex] for which block m[tex]_{1}[/tex] will remain at rest.

2. The attempt at a solution

So far I've drawn an FBD for m[tex]_{1}[/tex], m[tex]_{2}[/tex], and the knot that connects them.

For the block m[tex]_{1}[/tex], I have T[tex]_{1}[/tex] = [tex]M[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]N in the x-direction, and N = m[tex]_{1}[/tex]g for the y-direction.

For block m[tex]_{2}[/tex], I have T[tex]_{2}[/tex] = m[tex]_{2}[/tex]g in the y-direction.

For the knot, I have T[tex]_{1}[/tex] = T[tex]_{3}[/tex]*cos(25) in the x-direction and T[tex]_{2}[/tex] = T[tex]_{3}[/tex]*sin(25) in the y-direction.

Since T[tex]_{1}[/tex] = T[tex]_{3}[/tex]*cos(25), and T[tex]_{1}[/tex] = [tex]M[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]N, I set T[tex]_{3}[/tex]*cos(25) = [tex]M[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]N and solving for T[tex]_{3}[/tex], I get T[tex]_{3}[/tex] = ([tex]M[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]N)/(cos(25))

In the knot, we have T[tex]_{2}[/tex] = T[tex]_{3}[/tex]*sin(25). I plug in the T[tex]_{3}[/tex] derived earlier and T[tex]_{2}[/tex] = m[tex]_{2}[/tex]g into this equation to get m[tex]_{2}[/tex]g = [tex]M[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]*m[tex]_{1}[/tex]g*tan(25)

When I plug in numbers, the answer I get is about 98, and that just doesn't seem right to me. Did I do something wrong? Thanks for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer as you. 97.9N. Why do you think it is the wrong answer?

learningphysics said:
I get the same answer as you. 97.9N. Why do you think it is the wrong answer?

I've tried putting that in as the answer, but the computer says it isn't correct.

Xiongster said:
I've tried putting that in as the answer, but the computer says it isn't correct.

Did you put in 98 or 97.9? Maybe they want the mass and not the weight? I'm not sure...

learningphysics said:
Did you put in 98 or 97.9? Maybe they want the mass and not the weight? I'm not sure...

When I put it in, it wants the units as Newtons, so I'm sure it's weight. But now that I have a second opinion, I'll just argue with the professor if it's wrong =]. Thanks!

Did you neglect the static friction force?

which would be 210N.. So whatever Tension you assigned to the rope being pulled horizontally would be a maximum of 210N

Yes it seems you did cause I also get 97.9N as the answer...

If it helps I am also a Physics teacher for the sake of your arguement.

I did the problem, and I also got 97.9 N. Just to let you feel more secure about it :)

Alright! Thanks everyone!

1. What is the first step in solving a problem?

The first step in solving a problem is to clearly define the problem. This involves identifying the issue, understanding its context, and determining the desired outcome.

2. How do I come up with possible solutions to a problem?

Brainstorming is an effective way to generate multiple solutions to a problem. This involves listing out all possible ideas without judgement or evaluation.

3. How do I choose the best solution?

After generating potential solutions, it is important to evaluate each one based on its feasibility, effectiveness, and potential impact. The best solution should address the root cause of the problem and have the most positive impact.

4. What if I am stuck and cannot solve the problem?

If you are having difficulty solving a problem, it can be helpful to seek advice from others. Collaborating with colleagues or consulting with experts in the field can provide new perspectives and potential solutions.

5. How do I prevent similar problems from occurring in the future?

After successfully solving a problem, it is important to reflect on the process and identify any potential preventive measures. This could include implementing new procedures, addressing underlying issues, or improving communication within a team.