Need help with proof of equation

• Thread starter Oggy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about proving the equation \sum_{i=0}^{n} A_i = 1 and the use of the Binomial Series. The speaker is having trouble finding the correct answer for \sum_{i=0}^{1} A_i and requests help. The final response provides a correction to the equation.
Oggy
Let [tex] A_i = \frac{1}{n}\cdot \frac{(-1)^{n-i}}{i!\cdot(n-i)!} \int_{0}^{n} \frac{t(t-1)...(t-n)}{t-i}dt[/tex]

I need to prove

[tex] \sum_{i=0}^{n} A_i = 1 [/tex].

I tried tinkering with the equation but I'm really at a loss what to do with the integral. I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Error?

Hi! Is there an error somewhere?

I tried evaluating [tex] \sum_{i=0}^{1} A_i [/tex] but my answer was 0, and not 1. Perhaps you can re-check the question?

All the best!

Corrected now, thanks :) (It's (n-i)!)

Thanks for the correction, but I still can't obtain the correct answer for [tex] \sum_{i=0}^{1} A_i [/tex]. Puzzling...

In the sum i goes from 0 to n. And it's (-1)^(n-i). Sorry for the mistakes.

Last edited:
Well, the Binomial Series is probably involved... seeing the factorials and the term [tex] (-1)^{n-i} [/tex], but apart from that, I am not very sure how to proceed...

1. What is a proof of equation?

A proof of equation is a mathematical demonstration that shows the validity of an equation or a mathematical statement. It provides logical reasoning and evidence to support the equation or statement.

2. Why is it important to have a proof of equation?

A proof of equation is important because it ensures that the equation is true and can be relied upon for further calculations or applications. It also helps to avoid errors and misunderstandings in mathematical concepts.

3. What are the different methods used to prove an equation?

There are several methods that can be used to prove an equation, including direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by construction. Each method involves a different approach to logically demonstrate the validity of the equation.

4. How can I improve my ability to write proofs of equations?

To improve your ability to write proofs of equations, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and logical reasoning. Practice is also crucial, so solving a variety of mathematical problems and proofs can help strengthen your skills.

5. Can a proof of equation be wrong?

Yes, a proof of equation can be wrong. It is important to carefully review and check each step of the proof to ensure its validity. If a mistake is found, the proof should be revised and corrected. Collaborating with other mathematicians and seeking feedback can also help to identify errors in a proof.