1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Proof

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    Need Assistance w/ existence of conjugate roots in polynomial

given that f(x) = Anx^n + An-1X^n-1+ ....A1X + A0 , and An does not = 0
    => if f(x) has a root of the form (A+Bi), then it must have a root of the form (A-iB). (complex roots)

So far I've come up with the conjugate roots theorem to help me where it states that if a function f(x) is given with real coefficients then the conjugate must exist also. My professor suggested I try the Remainder Theorem??
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2006 #2
    What exactly are you stuck on? By inspection you know that if (A+Bi) divides your polynomial then (A-Bi) must also divide your polynomial because your polynomial does not have any complex coefficients. So, I'd recommend doing either a direct or indirect proof - though it seems as if a direct proof will be an easier way to go. Assume that (A+Bi) divides your polynomial. It follows then that:

[tex]A_{n}x^n + A_{n-1}x^{n-1} + ... + A_{1}x + A_{0} = 0 (mod (A+Bi))[/tex]

The rest should fall out from there...
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  4. Nov 27, 2006 #3
    Appreciate the fast reply, Well first I'm stuck on why my professor told me to use the Remainder Theorem where if a polynomial f(x) is divided by x-c then f(x) is the remainder. Second, I'm not quite sure I can prove that the conjugate exists with only the given statement of the polynomial function not having any complex coefficients. Third, I doubt that our professor would assign such a easy problem for homework. (He only assigned one problem)

What does (mod(A+Bi)) mean?

I am assuming that the roots are (x-(A+Bi))= 0 and (x+(A-Bi))= 0? Right?

Tell me what you think. Regards, Chris
  5. Nov 27, 2006 #4
    Mod is just a fancy way of saying remainder really. Example 4 mod 2 = 0.
  6. Nov 27, 2006 #5
    Let's look at a simple polynomial as an example.

Say 0 = x^2 + 2x -3
    Your solution would be (x+3)(x-1) = 0.
    So your roots are x= -3, and x = 1.

That means something * (x+3) gives you x^2 + 2x -3.
    And something * (x-1) gives you x^2 + 2x -3.

In this case we know what the something is, as we put in all the numbers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?