Junior Year Course Dilemma: Physics or Chemistry for College? - Expert Advice

• Thread starter dylennon
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is considering taking either Physics or Chemistry for their junior year of high school, with the goal of preparing for college in New York. They are seeking recommendations and, based on the responses, it is suggested to take both if possible, but if not, prioritize taking Physics. It is noted that those responding may have a bias towards Physics due to their background and interests. Overall, having a strong foundation in Physics can be beneficial, even for those not pursuing a career in the sciences.
dylennon
I will be entering my junior year of high school and I'm debating on whether I should take Physics or Chemistry. I'm trying to take the course that will most benefit me for colleges out in New York. Could anyone recommend to me which one I should take? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the option, take both.

If you can't for some reason, take physics. Note however that you're asking on a board populated by physics majors, professional physicists, and physics lovers in general. So we may be a little biased.

A good understanding of basic physics will do you a world of good, even if you're not planning to study the sciences further.

I would recommend taking both Physics and Chemistry during your high school career. Both subjects are essential for a well-rounded science education and will be beneficial for college studies in New York. However, if you have to choose one, it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.

If you are interested in pursuing a degree in engineering, mathematics, or other physical sciences, then Physics would be the best choice. Physics will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, as well as an understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It is a challenging subject, but it will prepare you for the rigorous coursework in college.

On the other hand, if you are interested in pursuing a degree in the life sciences, such as biology, environmental science, or pre-med, then Chemistry would be the better option. Chemistry will introduce you to the fundamental concepts of matter, energy, and chemical reactions, which are essential for understanding biological systems. It will also provide you with critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any scientific field.

Ultimately, the best course of action would be to speak with your high school counselor or science teachers for their advice and recommendations based on your individual strengths and interests. Both Physics and Chemistry are valuable courses, and taking either one will demonstrate your academic rigor and dedication to your college applications.

1. What is the purpose of registration?

Registration is a process that allows individuals to become members or users of a particular organization, system, or platform. It typically involves providing personal information and creating an account or profile to access certain features or services.

2. How do I register for a website or platform?

The registration process varies depending on the website or platform. In general, you will need to click on the "register" or "sign up" button and provide the required information, such as your name, email address, and a password. Some websites may also require you to verify your account through email or SMS.

3. Is registration necessary for using a website or platform?

In some cases, registration may be required to access certain features or services on a website or platform. However, many websites allow you to browse and access basic information without registering. It ultimately depends on the purpose and policies of the website or platform.

4. What information do I need to provide during registration?

This varies depending on the website or platform, but common information requested during registration includes your name, email address, date of birth, and a password. Some websites may also ask for additional information such as your address, phone number, or interests.

5. Can I change my registration information?

Yes, you can typically change your registration information by accessing your account settings or profile page. This may include updating your personal information, changing your password, or updating your preferences. However, some websites may have limitations on what information can be changed after registration.