Need help with review question on test tomorow

In summary, to find the largest area of a rectangle with base on the x-axis and upper corners touching the parabola with the equation y=12-x^2, it is necessary to find the x value that gives a maximum area of A = (2x)(12 - x^2). This can be done by finding the x value which gives a maximum for A.
2Pac
need help please. tonight if possible. I need to find the largest area of a rectangle with base on the x-axis and upper corners touch the parabola with the equation y=12-x^2
:smile: thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know the rectangle will be symmetrical about the y-axis. That means, if it touches the parabola at x = -a, it will touch at x = a as well. The rectangle will have an area of [itex]A = bh = (2x)(12 - x^2)[/itex]. Hopefully you see why this is. Now, it's simply a matter of finding the x value which gives a maximum for A, and I'm sure you know how to do this.

Sure! I would be happy to help with your review question. To find the largest area of a rectangle with a base on the x-axis and upper corners touching the parabola y=12-x^2, we can use the formula for the area of a rectangle, which is A = length x width.

In this case, the length of the rectangle will be the x-coordinate of the upper corners, and the width will be the distance between the two upper corners. Since the upper corners touch the parabola, we can set the x-coordinate of the upper corners equal to the x-coordinate of the vertex of the parabola, which is x=0.

To find the distance between the two upper corners, we can use the distance formula, which is d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2). In this case, we can set one of the upper corners to be (0,12) and the other upper corner to be (x,12-x^2). Plugging these values into the distance formula, we get d = √((x-0)^2 + ((12-x^2)-12)^2) = √(x^2 + x^4).

Now, we can plug in these values into the area formula A = length x width. A = (0)(√(x^2 + x^4)) = 0.

Since the area cannot be negative, we know that the largest area of the rectangle is when x=0, which means the rectangle is actually a square with sides of length 0. Therefore, the largest area of the rectangle is 0 units squared.

I hope this helps with your review and good luck on your test tomorrow! Let me know if you have any other questions. :smile:

1. What is the best way to prepare for a test tomorrow?

The best way to prepare for a test tomorrow is to start studying early and review your notes and materials regularly. Make sure to also get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast before the test.

2. How can I stay focused and motivated while studying for a test?

Try breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks with breaks in between. Set specific goals for each study session and reward yourself after completing them. It can also be helpful to study with a friend or in a quiet environment to minimize distractions.

3. What should I do if I don't understand a particular review question?

If you are struggling with a review question, try breaking it down into smaller parts and tackling it one step at a time. If you still don't understand, reach out to your teacher or a classmate for help. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or additional resources.

4. Is it better to study alone or in a group for a test?

This ultimately depends on your learning style and what works best for you. Some people prefer studying alone to minimize distractions and focus on their own pace, while others find it helpful to study in a group to discuss and review material together. Experiment with both and see what works best for you.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for a test tomorrow?

Start by creating a study schedule and prioritizing the most important topics or areas you need to review. Make sure to also schedule in breaks and allow yourself enough time for each subject. If you find yourself running out of time, focus on the main concepts and don't get too caught up in the smaller details.