1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with RLC circuit

1. Feb 27, 2005 #1
    Electrical oscillations are initiated in a series circuit containing a capacitance C, inductance L, and resistance R.

a) If R << sqrt((4L)/C) (weak damping), how much time elapses before the amplitude of the current oscillation falls off to 50.9% of its initial value?

b) How long does it take the energy to decrease to 50.9% of its initial value?

For part A, since I = I(max) * sin(wt), I put I(max)*.509 = I(max) * sin(wt).
    I(max) cancels out and you are left with .509 = sin(wt). I let w = 1/sqrt(LC). Next, I solved for t and came up with t = sqrt(LC)*arcsin(.509). It says the answer is wrong though. Any help would be great! thx!!! :)
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2005 #2
    you were not even answering what the question asked...
    for a weak damping oscillation, the amplitude is e^(at)sin(bt) ... whereas a and b are constant...
    the question is asking you when will the maximun amplitude i.e. e^(at) decrease to 50.9%, not the whole thing....
  4. Feb 28, 2005 #3
    so you do .509 = e^(at) and solve for t, where a = -Rt/L?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?