Which Path is Fastest for a Rolling Sphere: Straight Line or Curve?

In summary: There is no specific time limit, but it is expected that the solution will be much faster with a curve.
mid_bama
need help with rolling sphere problem...

Homework Statement

i have to design a track for a rigid sphere moving under the force of gravity. I need to come up with two paths/curves in the vertical plane and prove which one is the fastest. Origin point is (0,0) and ending point is (3,-1.5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that i should prove a straight line isn't as fast as a curve. Any ideas as to how to go about doing this. I believe i could use excel to help run some equations. Thanks for your help...

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, bama!
Wow, interesting question. I suppose you'll get a faster time by making that sphere speed up early in the run.

The word "prove" in the question makes me wonder if a numeric solution on the spreadsheet will do. Such calculations are never exact and it can be tricky to make them even pretty good. Might be worth checking with whoever assigned it.

Could you get away with a path that consists of two straight lines? That should be fairly easy to do analytically. Even a simple curve like a parabola could be difficult - do you have calculus?

Thanks Delphi!
I didn't think about two straight lines. She just said it had to follow a path. I just need to find a way to express this in my spreadsheet. She wants us to design a path and then build it in a real world environment.

Okay, sounds like fun. The two straight lines could cause a bounce in the real world. You'll have to round the join at least. Likely you could model a short circular section in your spreadsheet. Don't forget the rotational energy in your model. I hope there is a prize for the best time!

1. What is the rolling sphere problem?

The rolling sphere problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a sphere rolling down an inclined plane, taking into account factors such as gravity, friction, and the shape of the plane.

2. What is the significance of the rolling sphere problem?

The rolling sphere problem has real-world applications in industries such as engineering, construction, and transportation. It also helps to understand the laws of motion and how they apply to objects in motion.

3. What are the key equations used to solve the rolling sphere problem?

The key equations used to solve the rolling sphere problem include the equations of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's acceleration, velocity, and position, as well as the equations for calculating the forces acting on the sphere, such as gravity and friction.

4. How do you approach solving the rolling sphere problem?

To solve the rolling sphere problem, you first need to identify and understand the given parameters, such as the mass and radius of the sphere, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction. Then, you can use the relevant equations to calculate the sphere's motion and forces, and solve for the desired variables.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made when solving the rolling sphere problem?

Yes, in most cases, the rolling sphere problem assumes that the surface of the incline is smooth and there is no air resistance. It also assumes that the sphere is a perfect sphere and does not deform while rolling. These simplifications may not hold true in real-world scenarios, but they allow for a simpler and more manageable solution to the problem.