Solving for Torque, Angular Momentum, and Acceleration in Rotational Motion

• Thread starter angel120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the torque, change in angular momentum, tangential acceleration, and radial acceleration of a wheel that is being slowed down by a tool pressing against its edge. The formulas provided by the professor are incorrect and the correct conversions for angular velocities are given. The correct solutions for all four parts were eventually found.
angel120

Homework Statement

A wheel (mass 9.6 kg, radius 0.855 m) in the shape of a disk is rotating at 81.9 rpm when a tool is pressed against the edge of the wheel, slowing it down at a constant rate to 48 rpm in 3.81 seconds. Find:

a) the magnitude of the torque exerted by the tool on the wheel
b) the magnitude of the change in the angular momentum of the wheel during the time the wheel was slowing down
c) the magnitude of the tangential acceleration of the wheel as it slowed down
d) the magnitude of the radial acceleration of a point on the edge of the wheel at the end of the 3.81 seconds

Homework Equations

I =0.5mr^2 = 0.5(9.6)(0.855^2) = 3.51
omega initial = rpm(initial) * 2pi = 514.59
omega final = rpm(final) * 2pi = 301.59
alpha = change in omega / change in time = -55.91

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) tau = I alpha = -196.24

(B) L final = I omega(final) = 1806.211
L initial = I omega(initial) = 1058.581
change in L = -747.63

(C) a(tan) = r alpha = -47.8

(D) a(rad) = r (omega^2) = 77,767.83

These were the formulas the professor gave us, then he threw us with a question like this. The questions are on WebAssign, so I already know these four solutions are wrong. I still have a few chances before I'm locked out of the questions, but i cannot figure out for the life of me how to solve them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your angular velocities are 60-times too large. ;)

angel120 said:
omega initial = rpm(initial) * 2pi = 514.59
omega final = rpm(final) * 2pi = 301.59
Redo these conversions. rpm = revolutions per minute; you need radians per second.

Thanks guys, I feel really dumb making these silly mistakes. Live and learn, eh?

While waiting for a reply, I managed to figure out the right answers for all four parts.

Thanks again, guys. :)

1. What is rotation and why is it important?

Rotation is the circular movement of an object around a fixed point. In science, this is often referred to as angular motion. It is important because it can help us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, such as planets rotating around a sun or a spinning top.

2. How do you calculate rotational motion?

Rotational motion can be calculated using the formula: angular velocity = change in angle / time. This formula measures the change in an object's orientation over a specific time period. The unit for angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s).

3. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

There are many examples of rotational motion in our daily lives, such as the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the rotation of a ceiling fan. Other examples include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a record on a turntable, and the rotation of a propeller on an airplane.

4. What factors affect rotational motion?

The factors that affect rotational motion include the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied force. The shape and distribution of mass in an object can also affect its rotational motion, as well as any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How can you change the rotational motion of an object?

The rotational motion of an object can be changed by altering its angular velocity, either by increasing or decreasing its speed of rotation. This can be done by changing the applied force, altering the shape or mass distribution of the object, or changing the distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, external forces such as friction or air resistance can also impact the rotational motion of an object.