• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Need help with satellites and Kepler's Laws

• Thread starter fiestytig
  • Start date
Here's my problem:

A 23.0-kg satellite has a circular orbit with a period of 2.35 h and a radius of 8.90×106 m around a planet of unknown mass. If the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration on the surface of the planet is 8.90 m/s2, what is the radius of the planet?

I gotta say, I have no idea where to start since I don't have the mass of the planet. Any help? Pretty please? Due tonight at 10 pm EST... thanks!

Answers and Replies

The force acting on the satellite is also the centripital force. F-mv^2/R and F-G(M*m)/r^2. that should help you find the mass of the planet. right?

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
First question: Do you know how to find the period of a satellite if you know the planet's mass and the Radius of its orbit?

Second question: If you do, can't you use this method to find the Planet's mass when you know the period and radius of the orbit?

I'm afraid I still don't follow, even with those suggestions... All I really know is T^2=4 Pi^2 r^3 /G M. But I don't really have the r either, do I?

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
fiestytig said:
I'm afraid I still don't follow, even with those suggestions... All I really know is T^2=4 Pi^2 r^3 /G M. But I don't really have the r either, do I?
Then what is this?

A 23.0-kg satellite has a circular orbit with a period of 2.35 h and a radius of 8.90×106 m around a planet of unknown mass.

So then how do I find the radius of the planet??? (I got confused by the radiuses there for a minute.)

Aha! I figured it out! Thanks. Had to use a formula to find mass and then use g = G+M/R^2 to find R. :)