1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with satellites and Kepler's Laws

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1
    Here's my problem:

A 23.0-kg satellite has a circular orbit with a period of 2.35 h and a radius of 8.90×106 m around a planet of unknown mass. If the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration on the surface of the planet is 8.90 m/s2, what is the radius of the planet?

I gotta say, I have no idea where to start since I don't have the mass of the planet. Any help? Pretty please? Due tonight at 10 pm EST... thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2
    The force acting on the satellite is also the centripital force. F-mv^2/R and F-G(M*m)/r^2. that should help you find the mass of the planet. right?

4. Sep 24, 2005 #3

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First question: Do you know how to find the period of a satellite if you know the planet's mass and the Radius of its orbit?

Second question: If you do, can't you use this method to find the Planet's mass when you know the period and radius of the orbit?

5. Sep 24, 2005 #4
    I'm afraid I still don't follow, even with those suggestions... All I really know is T^2=4 Pi^2 r^3 /G M. But I don't really have the r either, do I?

6. Sep 24, 2005 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then what is this?

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6
    So then how do I find the radius of the planet??? (I got confused by the radiuses there for a minute.)

8. Sep 24, 2005 #7
    Aha! I figured it out! Thanks. Had to use a formula to find mass and then use g = G+M/R^2 to find R. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?