1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Scalar Equations

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the scalar equation of the plane containing the points A(-3, 1, 1) and B(-4, 0, 3) and the vector u = [1, 2, 3].

2. Relevant equations

I am at a lost, since I can't tell how to figure out the normal vector. I am supposed to find:
    Ax+By+Cz+D=0, where [A,B,C] is the normal vector.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know. I can find the scalar equation of three separate points, but I am not sure here. Either I am not thinking about this the right way, or I am honestly lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    Well, you have two points given. From that you can get a vector.

Then you'll have two vectors since one is already given.

From there how would you get the normal vector?

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    This is what I mean, not thinking. cross product, then I have normal vector, and I have my scalar equation.

Thanks for that.

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    Just so that I don't have to start a new thread, I wanna ask another question about scalar equations (Cartesian equations):
    How do you find the scalar equation when given the vector equation of a line in 3-space?

I am given an equation like this:
    [x, y, z] = [3, 1, 5] + s[-2, 3, -1] + t[2, 1, -2]

I am assuming I set one of the vectors as the origin, subtract it from the other vectors, and find the normal of the resulting vectors?

I am weak in my understanding of scalar equations and just want to double check to see if I am right.

6. Mar 27, 2012 #5
    You are already given two vectors there.

You need to take the cross product of those two, which will give you the normal vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook