1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Schrödinger and some integration!

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    • Moved here from non-homework forum, therefore template is missing
    My wave function:
    ##\psi_2=N_2 (4y^2-1) e^{-y^2/2}.##
    Definition of some parts in the wavefunction ##y=x/a##, ##a= \left( \frac{\hbar}{mk} \right)##, ##N_2 = \sqrt{\frac{1}{8a\sqrt{\pi}}}## and x has an arrange from ##\pm 20\cdot 10^{-12}##.
    Here is my integral:
    ##<x^2> = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi_2^*x^2\psi_2dx.##
    It should integrate it directly or with Hermite polynomials: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermite_polynomials
    I don't know how to do that. And I does ##\psi_2^*## mean it is conjugated? Really need some help here. I don't know how to start. If someone could help me, it would be great!
    Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

please use two $-signs for latex wrappers, and two #-signs for in-line latex.

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What, specifically, do you not know how to do? What to substitute for ##\psi_2##? What to substitute for ##\psi^*_2##? How to evaluate the resulting integral?

Yes, ##\psi^*_2## is the complex conjugate of ##\psi_2##.

5. Dec 1, 2014 #4

I don't what I should substitute ##\psi^*_2## with. ##\psi_2## would I substitute with the ##\psi_2## function and Integrate for the limits ##\pm \infty## (of course ##dx##). The same would I do with ##x^2##. I would do the same with ##\psi^*_2## and at the end I would * them together. Is it correct or totally wrong?

But still I don't know how to substitue ##\psi^*_2##.

6. Dec 1, 2014 #5

DrClaude

That doesn't work: the integral of a product is not equal to the product of integrals. Try it for yourself: is ##\int x^2 dx = (\int x dx)^2## true?

What is the complex conjugate of ##\psi^*_2##?

7. Dec 1, 2014 #6
    I don't know what the complex conjugate og ##\psi^*_2## is. How to figure it out? I know what ##\psi_2## is.

When I know what ##\psi_2^*## is, I should just put it in the formular, insert the ##\psi_2## in the formular, find the product and then integrate, am I right?

But what is the complex conjugate of ##\psi_2##? How to figure it out? What is ##\psi_2^*## equal with when I know ##\psi_2##? But in this case ... is ##\psi^*_2 =\psi^2##?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  8. Dec 1, 2014 #7

DrClaude

Generally speaking, how does one do complex conjugation?

9. Dec 1, 2014 #8

jtbell

No, but if you make a small change to the right side it will be correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted