Need help with Schrödinger and some integration

In summary: When I know what ##\psi_2^*## is, I should just put it in the formula, insert the ##\psi_2## in the formula, find the product and then integrate, am I right?Yes, that is correct.
Basip
Moved here from non-homework forum, therefore template is missing
My wave function:
##\psi_2=N_2 (4y^2-1) e^{-y^2/2}.##
Definition of some parts in the wavefunction ##y=x/a##, ##a= \left( \frac{\hbar}{mk} \right)##, ##N_2 = \sqrt{\frac{1}{8a\sqrt{\pi}}}## and x has an arrange from ##\pm 20\cdot 10^{-12}##.
Here is my integral:
##<x^2> = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi_2^*x^2\psi_2dx.##
It should integrate it directly or with Hermite polynomials: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermite_polynomials
I don't know how to do that. And I does ##\psi_2^*## mean it is conjugated? Really need some help here. I don't know how to start. If someone could help me, it would be great!
Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please use two $-signs for latex wrappers, and two #-signs for in-line latex.

Basip said:
I don't know how to do that.

What, specifically, do you not know how to do? What to substitute for ##\psi_2##? What to substitute for ##\psi^*_2##? How to evaluate the resulting integral?

Basip said:
does ψ∗2\psi_2^* mean it is conjugated?

Yes, ##\psi^*_2## is the complex conjugate of ##\psi_2##.

jtbell said:
What, specifically, do you not know how to do? What to substitute for ##\psi_2##? What to substitute for ##\psi^*_2##? How to evaluate the resulting integral?
Yes, ##\psi^*_2## is the complex conjugate of ##\psi_2##.
I don't what I should substitute ##\psi^*_2## with. ##\psi_2## would I substitute with the ##\psi_2## function and Integrate for the limits ##\pm \infty## (of course ##dx##). The same would I do with ##x^2##. I would do the same with ##\psi^*_2## and at the end I would * them together. Is it correct or totally wrong?

But still I don't know how to substitue ##\psi^*_2##.

Basip said:
I don't what I should substitute ##\psi^*_2## with. ##\psi_2## would I substitute with the ##\psi_2## function and Integrate for the limits ##\pm \infty## (of course ##dx##). The same would I do with ##x^2##. I would do the same with ##\psi^*_2## and at the end I would * them together. Is it correct or totally wrong?
That doesn't work: the integral of a product is not equal to the product of integrals. Try it for yourself: is ##\int x^2 dx = (\int x dx)^2## true?

Basip said:
But still I don't know how to substitue ##\psi^*_2##.
What is the complex conjugate of ##\psi^*_2##?

DrClaude said:
That doesn't work: the integral of a product is not equal to the product of integrals. Try it for yourself: is ##\int x^2 dx = (\int x dx)^2## true?What is the complex conjugate of ##\psi^*_2##?

I don't know what the complex conjugate og ##\psi^*_2## is. How to figure it out? I know what ##\psi_2## is.

When I know what ##\psi_2^*## is, I should just put it in the formula, insert the ##\psi_2## in the formula, find the product and then integrate, am I right?

But what is the complex conjugate of ##\psi_2##? How to figure it out? What is ##\psi_2^*## equal with when I know ##\psi_2##? But in this case ... is ##\psi^*_2 =\psi^2##?

Last edited:
Generally speaking, how does one do complex conjugation?

Basip said:
But in this case ... is ##\psi^*_2 =\psi^2##?

No, but if you make a small change to the right side it will be correct!

1. What is Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to determine the probability of finding a particle at a certain location.

2. How is Schrödinger's equation used in physics?

Schrödinger's equation is used to calculate the quantum state of a system, which includes information about the location, momentum, and energy of particles. This information can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of the system.

3. What is the significance of Schrödinger's cat thought experiment?

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment designed to demonstrate the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics. It involves a hypothetical cat in a sealed box with a device that has a 50/50 chance of releasing a poison that will kill the cat. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and the cat is observed, it exists in a state of superposition, where it is both alive and dead at the same time.

4. How does integration relate to Schrödinger's equation?

Integration is used in Schrödinger's equation to solve for the wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of a particle at a certain location. The integral of the wave function squared over a certain region gives the probability of finding the particle in that region.

5. Can Schrödinger's equation be applied to macroscopic objects?

No, Schrödinger's equation is only applicable to microscopic particles, such as electrons. It does not accurately describe the behavior of macroscopic objects, which follow classical physics laws. However, the principles of quantum mechanics can have implications on the behavior of macroscopic objects, such as in superposition and entanglement experiments.