Need help with setting up a light system for a float for my old elementary school.

In summary, Mike is looking for advice on building a light organ. He is considering buying one off the shelf or building one himself. He is also worried about the health and safety aspect.
mike232
Hey physics forums!
I was asked by my elementary school to help set up a system to make lights flash with the beat of music on a parade float. I'm a nuke engineer student at purdue but I think this is within my grasp. If It is too expensive or too much to make Christmas light flash with the beat just set them to an appeasing pattern is my next best thing. My base idea is to just use a computer tell a psu to turn on and turn off according to some input from the music. Maybe using a midi file or something. I don't know. But I have access to any program or programming compiler at purdue. Thankyou for any help. Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you're wanting to make is called a light organ. Do a google image search and you'll find tons of circuits.

e.g.

4017-color-organ.JPG

Also you could buy a kit like this.

http://www.xkitz.com/images/XLO-5_Light_Organ.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
mike232 said:
Hey physics forums!
I was asked by my elementary school to help set up a system to make lights flash with the beat of music on a parade float. I'm a nuke engineer student at purdue but I think this is within my grasp. If It is too expensive or too much to make Christmas light flash with the beat just set them to an appeasing pattern is my next best thing. My base idea is to just use a computer tell a psu to turn on and turn off according to some input from the music. Maybe using a midi file or something. I don't know. But I have access to any program or programming compiler at purdue. Thankyou for any help.Mike
I looked on eBay and saw a lot of sound to light boxes for sub 100GBP prices. Bear in mind that the expensive part of what you want to do will be more in the power switching circuitry and putting it in a box with a power supply, than the control electronics. You may find the cheapest solution would be to buy something off the shelf and do the electronics project for your own enjoyment later on.
Are you talking in terms of 12V lighting or mains voltages? Then there's the Health and Safety aspect, too.

A common name for these is Light Organ.. I built one when I was 12 ? it was a Kit but it is for 120 VAC.- so need to know what is your power source? ( battery, the the tow vehicle, a small generator??.. You can buy a kit from Vellman - or other co's --- I am assuming you really do not want to learn the whole theory behind it(still a great learning project)... The trick is for a float you need a lot of light. LEDs are efficient -- but expensive - if you want to use Christmas light strings -- a reasonable approach, you need to check the wattage ( total power) needed and make sure the system you buy / work on is sufficient to drive the lights.

, as a scientist, I would recommend starting by researching and understanding the basic principles of electrical circuits and programming. This will help you develop a solid foundation for setting up the light system for the float. Additionally, consider consulting with a professional in the field of electrical engineering or computer programming to ensure that your system is safe and effective. Using a MIDI file as an input for the lights is a great idea, but you will also need to consider the power source and wiring for the lights. Overall, with proper research and planning, I am confident that you can successfully set up a light system that will wow everyone at the parade. Good luck!

1. How do I determine the appropriate lighting system for my float?

To determine the appropriate lighting system for your float, you will need to consider the size and shape of the float, the type of lights you want to use, and the power source available. It is recommended to consult with a professional or do some research to ensure you choose the right lighting system for your specific float.

2. What type of lights should I use for my float?

The type of lights you use for your float will depend on personal preference and the theme of your float. Some popular options include string lights, LED lights, and battery-operated lights. It is important to make sure the lights are appropriate for outdoor use and can withstand any potential weather conditions.

3. How can I safely attach the lights to my float?

To safely attach lights to your float, consider using zip ties, duct tape, or staples. Make sure to secure the lights tightly and avoid any loose or dangling wires. It is also important to use waterproof lights and ensure all electrical connections are properly insulated to prevent any potential hazards.

4. Can I use a generator for my float's lighting system?

Yes, you can use a generator for your float's lighting system as long as it is properly grounded and set up in a safe location away from any flammable materials. Make sure to follow all safety precautions and have a backup plan in case the generator fails.

5. How can I make my float's lighting system energy efficient?

To make your float's lighting system energy efficient, consider using LED lights, which use less energy and last longer than traditional incandescent lights. You can also use a timer or dimmer switch to control the amount of time the lights are on and reduce energy consumption. Additionally, choosing a power source that is renewable, such as solar power, can also help make your float's lighting system more eco-friendly.