Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with simple calorimetry problem

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    So here's the problem

Conside the dissolution of CaCl2:

CaCl2(s) ---> Ca^(2+) (aq) + 2Cl^(-1) (aq) deltaH = -81.5kJ

An 11.0g sample of CACl2 id dissolved in 125g of water, with both substances at 25.0°C. Calculate the final temperature of the solution assuming no heat lost to the surroundings and assuming the solution has a specific heat capacity of 4.18 J/(°C*g).

So far I think it's just q(rxn) = q(water) + q(CaCl2)

(136g)(4.184J/°Cg)(Tfinal - 25.0°C) = (125g)(4.184)(Tfinal - 25.0°c) + (11g)c(Tfinal - 25.0°C)

But it seems that I am missing C for the calcium chloride and I don't know what to do about it? is there another way to calculating it without C of CaCl2?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2
    The heat capacity(Cp) of the solution will be very close to that of pure water, 4.18 J/(g C). The problem states this.

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    Are you suggesting that I use 4.184 for the heat capacity of every one? If I do then it wouldn't make sense since that's just making the left side equal to the right side and getting at final temperature of 25.0°C.

By the way, is my formula correct though?

heat of solution = heat of water + heat of calcium chloride

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You won't need the left side of this equation. Note that the enthalpy is in kJ/mole of reaction. How would you convert kJ/mole of reaction to kJ?

This energy is equivalent to q...it is used to raise the temperature of ___?

"(136g)(4.184J/°Cg)(Tfinal - 25.0°C)",

this is incorrect, 4.184J/Cg applies specifically to water.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?