1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with some AP problems

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Given the line x=(5/3)x and the curve C: x= sqrt(1+y^2). Let S be the region bounded by the two graphs and the x-axis. The line and the curve intersect at point p.

a. Curve C is a part of the curve x^2-y^2= 1. Who that x^2-y^2=1 can be written as the polar equation: r^2=1/(cos^2([tex]\theta[/tex])-sin^2([tex]\theta[/tex]))

b. Use the polar equation given in part a to set up an integral expression with respect to the polar angle theta that represents the area of S.

2. A particle starts at point A on the positive x-axis at time t=0 and travels along the curve from A to B to C to D. The coordinates of the particle's position (x(t),y(t)) are differentialbe functions of t where x'(t)= -9cos(pi*t/6)sin(pi*sqrt(t+1)/2) and y'(t)=dy/dt is not explicitly given. At time t=9, the particle reaches its final position at point D on the positive x-axis.
    (Note: Point A is right of point D so the particle is moving LEFT)

a. At point C, is dy/dt positive ? At point C, is dx/dt positive ?
    b. The slope of the curve is undefined at point B. At what time is the particle at point B ?
    c. The line tangent to the curve at the point (x(8),y(8)) has equation y=(5/9)x-2. Find the velocity vector and the speed of the particle at this point.
    d. How far apart are the points A and D of the particle ?

2. Relevant equations

A= 1/2 integral(r^2 dtheta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. How should I prove this ?
    b. I know the formula for area but how do I find the interval in term of theta ?

a. So there is a graph given, at point C, the particle is going down so I think dy/dt is negative and as well as dx/dt right ?
    b. So slope is undefined so dy/dx is undefined which means dx/dt =0 right ? so just find t for dx/dt =0. Am I right ?
    c. so slope is 5/9 which means (dy/dt)/(dx/dt)=5/9. Does that mean that dy/dt=5 and dx/dt=9 ?
    d. How do I attack part d ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
    1. I think I solved part a. It's just the matter of converting from Cartesian to polar as x=r*cos(t) and y=r*sin(t).

For part b, how do I find the intersections of 2 graphs in term of angles ??

ANy suggestions for the other parts ?

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    I feel like I did part 2c wrong, can someone check ?

Is 5/9 only the ratio or actually dx/dt= 9 and dy/dt=5 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook