1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with some basic questions

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    can someone help me with some basic questions

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2
    Mind typing your question so that we can help??

4. Dec 7, 2006 #3
    questions I need help with

When final velocity is larger than initial velocity, then acceleration is what?

What affects the time that a horizontally projected object remains in the air?

What components of projectile are affected by gravity?

5. Dec 7, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What are your thoughts on these questions? What equations are relevant? We can only help you if you show some of your own work on the problems.

6. Dec 7, 2006 #5
    1st question: I am thinking that acceleration is positive

2nd question: initial vertical velocity and relative projection height

3rd question: the vertical components, but not sure if their are specific vertical components

7. Dec 7, 2006 #6

berkeman

You got them right.

8. Dec 7, 2006 #7
    thanks im new to this stuff and I am trying to figure it out. got time to help on more?

9. Dec 7, 2006 #8
    when it says the components of vector mechanics, are they just talking about the x and y components? Or the horizontal and vertical compponents?

10. Dec 7, 2006 #9

berkeman

The components are just the breakdown of the vector in whatever coordinate system you are using at the time. That could be left/right, forward/backward, up/down. Or (x,y,z). Or lots of other possibilities. (x,y,z) is just a little easier to work with compared to left/right, forward/backward, up/down.

11. Dec 7, 2006 #10
    thanks. next one
    A ball is kicked with an initial velocity of 10 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees. Neglecting air resistance, what is the speed of the ball at landing?

Answer: 10 m/s, the ball will slow down on the way up and speed back up on the way down, maxing out at the initial velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?