1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with some identity problems

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    I'm having difficulties with a few identity problems and I wanted to make sure I'm doing the ones I believe I did correctly, correctly...

1. (cos^3x)+(sin^2x)(cosx)

2. (1+cosy)/(1+secy)

3. (tanx)/(secx)

6. (1+sinx/cosx)+(cosx/1+sinx)

7. (tanx)(cosx)(cscx)

The ones that I'm not too sure about are 2 and 8. I feel pretty confident about the other ones, but I wanted to make sure I'm doing them correctly.

Thanks a lot to anybody that helps.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

For 2
    From the text in red, multiply both the numerator and denominator by cosy

I don't see a question 8...the only one that looked wrong at a glance was 2.
  4. Jun 29, 2008 #3
    First, you did not put a #8 up so I guess you are confident about that one lol.

I didn't look at #6 b/c my eyes are tired, but you will want to check 2 and 4!

for #2 you have that 1+(1/cos(y)) = 1 + cos(y) !! since when is that true. instead, you should multiply the numerator and denominator by cos(y) then see what you get.

#4 the hint is to look at what 1 - (cos(x))^2 is
  5. Jun 29, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you get the "2"?

(cosx)(cos^2x)+ (sin^2x)(cosx)= cos(x)(cos^2x+ sin^2x).

How did you make this jump? 1/cosy is NOT equal to cos y.

Yes, that's right.

You've got your parenthes wrong. Also sec x= 1/cosx not 1/sin x
    (1/cosx- cosx)(cos(x)/sin(x)= (1/cox)(cosx/sinx)- cos^2x/sinx= 1/sinx- cos^2x/sinx
    = (1- cos^2x)/sinx

Yes, that's correct.

Again, you are not being careful with parentheses. I think you mean
    (1+ sinx)/cosx+ cosx/(1+ sin(x)) bit what you wrote is 1+ (sinx/cosx)+ cosx+ sin(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?