Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with some vector calculus problems

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    f = 2xy in the x dir, (x^2 - z^2) in the y dir, -3xz^2 in the z dir.
    particle travles from (0,0,0) to (2,1,3)

im supposed to find the line integral from (0,0,0) to (2,1,3).
    if i make z = 3/2 x and y = 1/2 x and substitute those into the integral of F dot dl i end up with an answer of -27.66667. the way im doing it makes sense from the things ive seen on the net. but the book gives an answer of -39.5. ??

also, ive got another problem, my electro-magnetics prof didnt get a chance to do any examples on this stuff. D = 2 Ro z^2 in the Ro dir, and Ro cos^2 theta in the z dir.
    find closed surface integral of D dot Ds.
    0<Ro<5
    -1<z<1
    0<theta<2pi

ive got no idea on this one. is it basically the same thing as a line integral or do i do something different?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by "f = 2xy in the x dir, (x^2 - z^2) in the y dir, -3xz^2 in the z dir". Do you possibly mean 2xy dx+ (x2- z2)dy- 3xz2dz ? Oh, wait, you mean f is a vector: f= (2xy)i+ (x2- z2)j- 3xz2k.
    Of course its the same thing: fds= 2xy dx+ (x2- z2)dy- 3xz2dz
    To integrate it from (0, 0, 0) to (2, 1, 3), let x= 2t, y= t, z= 3t so that dx= 2dt,
    dy= dt, dz= 3dt and substitute. The integral will be for t= 0 to 1.

I'm a little put off by using "Ro" instead of r in cylindrical coordinates. That's normally reserved for polar coordinates.

the figure "0< Ro< 5, -1< z< 1, 0< theta< 2p is the cylinder with radius 5, extending from z= -1 to 1. It's surface (dS) really has three parts: the top, a disk of radius 5 with z= 1 (and dS= rdrd&theta;), the bottom, a disk of radius 5 with z= -1 (and dS= -rdr&theta;), and the "lateral side" with dS= rdrd&theta;.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?