How Do I Analyze a Loudspeaker Circuit for Homework?

In summary: I am not sure. I will need to talk to my TA about it more. Thanks for the help!No, our professor said apparently the "standard" graph is supposed to be set on a scale of 50dB/decade, so I am assuming that for every decade on the x-axis, there needs to be 50dB on the y-axis. Maybe it is a standard in the speaker design industry or... I am not sure. In summary, the professor didn't really explain how to do the problem in class, and there is no textbook for this class (Loudspeaker and Sound System Design). I am having some trouble with the HW, and any help and explanation of how to go about analyzing the
pyro_dragun
Hi all, I have some HW that I am really having some trouble with, since the professor didn't really explain how to do the problem in class, and there is no textbook for this class (Loudspeaker and Sound System Design).

This is the homework, and any help and explanation of how I should go about analyzing the circuit would be helpful. Thanks.
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8558/ee423homework1xg9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
consider all the components in S domain, i.e. inductors in jomegaL, capacitors in (1 / jomegaC) and resistors in ohms.

series the rightmost resistor and capacitor and make the result in parallel with the other component on the left except the leftmost resistor.from this circuit find the current. use this current to find the voltage across the parallel components. then use voltage divider rule to find Eout

just to compare the work, which university and what year are you in?

I am a junior at USC (SoCal). This is supposed to be a Junior/Senior class, with more seniors in the class.

This stuff is supposed to be review, but I need to get a textbook first and brush up on some circuit analysis, since I haven't had to do much analysis in the frequency domain. Reducing the circuit was not the problem, but the frequency analysis part was.

Also, do you know of any good loudspeaker or sound system design books that I can try to find and read?

Thread moved to the homework forums. Welcome to the PF, pyro_dragon. Keep in mind that homework problems should be posted in the appropriate homework forum, not in the general forums. If it's a complex upper-division or graduate-level project, it may be allowed to stay in a more specific general forum, up to the discretion of the Mentors.

So were you able to figure this transfer function out? And for your question on resources for reading about speakers and sound systems, I googled speaker design tutorial, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=speaker+design+tutorial

berkeman said:
Thread moved to the homework forums. Welcome to the PF, pyro_dragon. Keep in mind that homework problems should be posted in the appropriate homework forum, not in the general forums. If it's a complex upper-division or graduate-level project, it may be allowed to stay in a more specific general forum, up to the discretion of the Mentors.

So were you able to figure this transfer function out? And for your question on resources for reading about speakers and sound systems, I googled speaker design tutorial, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=speaker+design+tutorial

Thanks for the welcome, and I will keep that in mind for future homework questions. :)

I asked my TA, and he told me to use get spice and learn how to use it to get the frequency response. I managed to end up with a graph that looked correct when I compared it with some people in my class today, but I think my scale was off, since I haven't figured out how to set the axis to 50 db per decade in spice yet, I relied on the auto-format. I haven't really had to do transfer functions before, so I have some reading to do this week, so I can understand why the results from spice are as they are. I definitely have my work cut out for me in this class.

pyro_dragun said:
I managed to end up with a graph that looked correct when I compared it with some people in my class today, but I think my scale was off, since I haven't figured out how to set the axis to 50 db per decade in spice yet, I relied on the auto-format.

You don't set an axis to 50dB/decade. You set the range of gain on the vertical scale (like with 0dB at the top and -100dB at the bottom or whatever), and you set the limits of the frequency range for the horizontal scale (usually log scale for transfer functions). You might end up with a transfer function that is falling off at 50dB/decade somewhere in the graph. That's probably what you meant?

berkeman said:
You don't set an axis to 50dB/decade. You set the range of gain on the vertical scale (like with 0dB at the top and -100dB at the bottom or whatever), and you set the limits of the frequency range for the horizontal scale (usually log scale for transfer functions). You might end up with a transfer function that is falling off at 50dB/decade somewhere in the graph. That's probably what you meant?

No, our professor said apparently the "standard" graph is supposed to be set on a scale of 50dB/decade, so I am assuming that for every decade on the x-axis, there needs to be 50dB on the y-axis. Maybe it is a standard in the speaker design industry or something.

1. How do I choose the right speaker for my needs?

When choosing a speaker, there are a few key factors to consider. First, determine the size and power requirements for your space. Then, consider the frequency response and sensitivity of the speaker. Finally, think about the intended use of the speaker and any additional features, such as Bluetooth connectivity or waterproofing.

2. What is the difference between active and passive speakers?

Active speakers have a built-in amplifier, while passive speakers require an external amplifier to power them. Active speakers are usually more compact and easier to set up, while passive speakers offer more flexibility in terms of customization and upgrade options.

3. How do I design a speaker enclosure?

When designing a speaker enclosure, it is important to consider the size and shape in relation to the speaker's size and power requirements. The material and construction of the enclosure can also affect the sound quality. It is recommended to research and follow established designs or consult with a professional for optimal results.

4. What are the benefits of using a crossover in a speaker design?

A crossover is used to split the audio signal into different frequency ranges, allowing each driver in a multi-driver speaker to handle a specific frequency range. This can improve the overall sound quality and reduce distortion. Crossovers can also protect the drivers from being overworked and potentially damaged.

5. How do I test and measure the performance of a speaker?

There are various methods for testing and measuring the performance of a speaker, including frequency response, impedance, and sound pressure level. These can be done using specialized equipment, such as an audio analyzer or microphone, or by listening to the speaker and evaluating its performance subjectively. It is recommended to use a combination of objective and subjective measurements for a comprehensive evaluation.