Calculating Deflection and Buckling in L-Shaped Square Tubing Legs

• Thread starter ksukhin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary calculations for determining the appropriate radius for an L-shaped leg made of square tubing. The questions raised include the general formula for calculating the required radius based on the length and height, the method for calculating deflection and buckling on the vertical part, and the consideration of the moment created from the load on the end. However, it is noted that more information is needed about the purpose and applied loads of the structure for accurate calculations.
ksukhin
I need to know how big of a radius I need to use on an L shaped leg made out of square tubing. Is there a general formula depending on the length and height required?

How would I calculate the deflection at the end and the buckling on the vertical part?

For the deflection part, would I ignore the vertical component of the leg and assume that the end is fixed, and just deal with the horizontal part of the L shape?

For buckling on the vertical part, how do I account for the moment created from the load on the end?

Engineering news on Phys.org
These are pretty specific questions about a situation which is otherwise only vaguely described. More information is required about the intended purpose of this structure and the loads applied to it.

What is square tubing and what is it used for?

Square tubing is a type of hollow structural section that is made of metal and has a square or rectangular shape. It is commonly used in construction and manufacturing industries for various purposes such as supporting structures, framing, and creating durable and lightweight structures.

What are the different types of square tubing and how do they differ?

There are several types of square tubing, including hot-rolled steel, cold-rolled steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. They differ in terms of their manufacturing process, strength, durability, and corrosion resistance. Hot-rolled steel is the most commonly used type, while stainless steel is often preferred for its corrosion resistance.

How do I determine the appropriate size of square tubing for my project?

The size of square tubing needed for a project depends on several factors, such as the weight and type of load it will support, the length of the span, and the structural requirements. It is best to consult with a structural engineer or refer to load capacity charts provided by tubing manufacturers to determine the appropriate size for your project.

What are the benefits of using square tubing over other types of structural support?

Square tubing has several advantages over other types of structural support. It is stronger and more durable than wood or plastic, making it ideal for heavy-duty applications. It also has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, meaning it can support heavier loads while being lighter in weight. Additionally, square tubing is more resistant to warping, twisting, and bending, making it a more stable and reliable choice for structural support.

What are the common methods for cutting and joining square tubing?

The most common methods for cutting square tubing include using a hacksaw, circular saw, or band saw. For joining square tubing, welding, bolting, or using specialized connectors are common methods. The method chosen will depend on the type of square tubing and the specific project requirements.