How to Calculate the Probability of Extreme Weights in Production?

• Thread starter 619snake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: P(X<14) + P(X<10) Using the z-score formula, we can calculate the probabilities:P(X<14) = P(Z< (14-12)/2) = P(Z<1) = 0.8413P(X<10) = P(Z< (10-12)/2) = P(Z<-1) = 0.1587Therefore,P(X>14 or X<10) = 1 - 0.8413 + 0.1587 = 0.3174In summary, the probability that a randomly selected item has a weight that is greater than 14 ounces or smaller than 10 ounces is 0.317
619snake

Homework Statement

the weight of items produced by a production line is normally distributedwith a mean of 12 ounces and a standard deviation of 2 ounces.
a. what is the probability that a randomly selected item will weight between 8 and 16 ounces? (DONE)
b. what is the probability that a randomly selected item will weight over 20 ounces? (DONE)
c. Suppose that quality control requires the weight of items to be within 8 and 16 ounces. You select 7 items at random (each item is independent). What is the probability that 3 of the items will fulfill quality control requirements. (DONE BUT HAVE DOUBTS)
d. find the probability that a randomly selected item has a weight that is greater than 14 or smaller than 10. (STUCK IN THIS ONE)

2. Related formulas
if x is BIN
p(x=k) = (n!)/((n-k)!(k!)) * [tex]\pi[/tex]^k * (1-[tex]\pi[/tex])^(n-k)
mean = n[tex]\pi[/tex]
variance = n[tex]\pi[/tex](1-[tex]\pi[/tex])

if x is N(µ,[tex]\sigma[/tex]), then z=(x-µ)/([tex]\sigma[/tex]) is N(0,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. x~n (µ=12, [tex]\sigma[/tex]=2)
p(8<x<16)
p(x<16) - p(x<8)
z=(16-12)/2 z=(8-12)/2
z=2 z= -2
p(z<2)-p(z<-2)
=.9772-.0228
=.9544

b.P(x>20)
z=(20-12)/2
z=4
p(z>4)= 1

c.x~binomial (µ=7, [tex]\sigma[/tex]=.95)
p(x=3)
p(x=K)=[tex](3!)/(3!)(7-3)![/tex](.95)^3 (1-.95)^4
x=0.000187551

d. I have no idea how to deal with this one
I think I have to use the mean and standard deviation of the problem
(µ=12, [tex]\sigma[/tex]=2)
P(x<10) or P(x>14)
Hope you people can help me

Physics news on Phys.org
619snake said:

Homework Statement

the weight of items produced by a production line is normally distributedwith a mean of 12 ounces and a standard deviation of 2 ounces.
a. what is the probability that a randomly selected item will weight between 8 and 16 ounces? (DONE)
b. what is the probability that a randomly selected item will weight over 20 ounces? (DONE)
c. Suppose that quality control requires the weight of items to be within 8 and 16 ounces. You select 7 items at random (each item is independent). What is the probability that 3 of the items will fulfill quality control requirements. (DONE BUT HAVE DOUBTS)
d. find the probability that a randomly selected item has a weight that is greater than 14 or smaller than 10. (STUCK IN THIS ONE)

2. Related formulas
if x is BIN
p(x=k) = (n!)/((n-k)!(k!)) * [tex]\pi[/tex]^k * (1-[tex]\pi[/tex])^(n-k)
mean = n[tex]\pi[/tex]
variance = n[tex]\pi[/tex](1-[tex]\pi[/tex])

if x is N(µ,[tex]\sigma[/tex]), then z=(x-µ)/([tex]\sigma[/tex]) is N(0,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. x~n (µ=12, [tex]\sigma[/tex]=2)
p(8<x<16)
p(x<16) - p(x<8)
z=(16-12)/2 z=(8-12)/2
z=2 z= -2
p(z<2)-p(z<-2)
=.9772-.0228
=.9544

b.P(x>20)
z=(20-12)/2
z=4
p(z>4)= 1

c.x~binomial (µ=7, [tex]\sigma[/tex]=.95)
p(x=3)
p(x=K)=[tex](3!)/(3!)(7-3)![/tex](.95)^3 (1-.95)^4
x=0.000187551

d. I have no idea how to deal with this one
I think I have to use the mean and standard deviation of the problem
(µ=12, [tex]\sigma[/tex]=2)
P(x<10) or P(x>14)
Hope you people can help me

The events X>14 and X<10 are mutually exclusive (cannot occur at the same time) so that their probabilities are additive:

P(X>14 or X<10) = P(X>14) + P(X<10)

1. What is statistics?

Statistics is the study of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting numerical data. It involves using various mathematical and computational methods to make sense of data and draw conclusions or make predictions.

2. Why is statistics important?

Statistics is important because it allows us to make informed decisions based on data. It helps us understand trends, patterns, and relationships within data, which can be used to solve problems, make predictions, and inform policy and business decisions.

3. What are some common statistical methods?

Some common statistical methods include descriptive statistics (such as mean, median, and standard deviation), inferential statistics (such as hypothesis testing and confidence intervals), and regression analysis (to examine relationships between variables).

4. How can I improve my understanding of statistics?

Improving your understanding of statistics involves practicing and applying statistical methods, seeking out resources and tutorials, and asking for help from experts or tutors. It can also be helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills.

5. Can statistics be used to manipulate data?

Statistics itself is a tool for analyzing data, and it is not inherently manipulative. However, statistics can be misused or misrepresented to manipulate data or support a biased argument. It is important to critically evaluate statistical claims and consider the source and methodology behind the data before drawing conclusions.