Need help with tension in a string/charged balls attached

In summary, two identical small insulating balls with a mass of 8.0×10–4 kg each are suspended by separate 0.25-m threads attached to the ceiling. The balls are initially uncharged and hang straight down, but when given identical positive charges, they spread apart with an angle of 36° between the threads. To determine the charge on each ball and the tension in the threads, you can use a free body diagram and apply the principles of tension and forces. This question has been posted before, so there is a reference link provided for further guidance.
vaxopy
Two identical small insulating balls are suspended by separate 0.25-m threads that are attached to a common point on the ceiling. Each ball has a mass of 8.0×10–4 kg. Initially the balls are uncharged and hang straight down. They are then given identical positive charges and, as a result, spread apart with an angle of 36° between the threads. Determine (a) the charge on each ball and (b) the tension in the threads.

Its been a long time since I have worked with tension.. and free body diagrams. Can someone please provide a kick for me in the right directoin? What would the diagram look like (free body/forces), and how would I go about solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that the threads are equal length, attached to the same point at the top, and the masses and charges of the balls are equal, it would look like an isosceles triangle, and you know, or can figure out, all the dimensions. And you should be able to determine what forces apply and in what directions. What's holding you back?

This exact same question has been posted here before...
If you want to do it all on your own, then don't click on the link, but I figured I'd post it just in case you wanted to see it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=62211

Last edited:

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string refers to the pulling force that is exerted on the string, either from an external source or from the weight of an object attached to the string. It is a measure of the strength of the string and is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How does tension affect a string?

The amount of tension in a string determines its ability to resist stretching or breaking. The higher the tension, the stronger the string will be. However, if the tension exceeds the string's breaking point, it will snap.

3. How can I calculate tension in a string?

The formula for calculating tension in a string is T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and L is the length of the string. The unit of force must be in Newtons for this formula to work.

4. What is the relationship between tension and charged balls?

If charged balls are attached to a string, the tension in the string will be affected by the electrostatic force between the balls. The amount of tension will depend on the amount of charge on the balls and their distance from each other.

5. How can I reduce tension in a string with charged balls?

To reduce the tension in a string with charged balls attached, you can either decrease the amount of charge on the balls or increase the distance between them. This will decrease the electrostatic force and therefore reduce the tension in the string.