Master the Chain Rule: Derivative of f(x) = \sqrt{5-x^{2}} and Its Composition

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Chain Rule to find the derivative of f(x) = \sqrt{5-x^{2}} by breaking it down into two functions: y = \sqrt{u} and u = 5 - x^{2}. The notation for the Chain Rule, dy/dx, is explained as finding the derivative of y with respect to x. The final step is to calculate the derivatives dy/du and du/dx and use them to find dy/dx.
Incog

Homework Statement

A: Write f(x) = [tex]\sqrt{5-x^{2}}[/tex] as a composite of two functions.

B: Use the Chain Rule to find the derivative of f(x) = [tex]\sqrt{5-x^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Chain Rule:

y`= [tex]\frac{dy}{du}[/tex] [tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A:

y = [tex]\sqrt{u}[/tex]
u = 5 - x[tex]^{2}[/tex]

B:

This is where I get confused. I don't understand what's meant by "d" and what's meant by "y", "u", and "x".

I know the two du's cancel out in the Chain Rule so you're left with:

y`= (dy)(dx)

Does this mean the derivative of y times the derivative of x? And if so, how do you know what y and x are?

Physics news on Phys.org
Incog said:
y = [tex]\sqrt{u}[/tex]
u = 5 - x[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Good!
This is where I get confused. I don't understand what's meant by "d" and what's meant by "y", "u", and "x".
dy/dx is just notation for: take the derivative of the function y with respect to the variable x.

I know the two du's cancel out in the Chain Rule so you're left with:

y`= (dy)(dx)
Not exactly. y' = dy/dx.

The point is that you want to find dy/dx and that dy/dx = (dy/du)*(du/dx). And it's easy to calculate the derivatives dy/du and du/dx.

Doc Al said:
dy/dx is just notation for: take the derivative of the function y with respect to the variable x.

Thanks. That cleared the confusion. :cool:

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a fundamental rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do I apply the chain rule to find the derivative of f(x) = √(5-x^2)?

To find the derivative of f(x) = √(5-x^2), we first need to identify the inner and outer functions. In this case, the inner function is x^2 and the outer function is the square root. Then, we can use the chain rule formula: f'(x) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x). This gives us f'(x) = (1/2)(5-x^2)^(-1/2) * (-2x). Simplifying this expression gives us f'(x) = -x/(√(5-x^2)).

3. What is the derivative of a composite function?

The derivative of a composite function is the rate of change of the output with respect to the input. In other words, it tells us how much the output of a function changes when we make a small change in the input.

4. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that are composed of several simpler functions. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can the chain rule be applied to functions other than square roots?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, regardless of the type of function. As long as we can identify the inner and outer functions, we can use the chain rule to find the derivative. Some other common examples include trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.