How Do You Calculate the Impulse Exerted by the Ground on a Bouncing Ball?

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, a rubber ball of mass 0.225 kg is dropped from a height of 5.92 m and rebounds to a height of 4.58 m. Using the equation mgh=½mv², you can calculate the velocities of the ball before and after the bounce. The change in momentum, or impulse, can be found by subtracting the initial momentum from the final momentum. Remember to take into account the direction of the velocities, as momentum is a vector.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

A rubber ball of mass m = 0.225 kg is dropped from a height ho = 5.92 m, and it rebounds to a height hf = 4.58 m. Assume there is no air friction.

Find J, the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the ground on the ball.

Homework Equations

I = Ft
Energy conservations formula: mgh or ½mv²?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ugh... Don't think I have the right type of approach. -__-

I first found that the energy lost is 2.96 J, which is right. I tried to use this form:

mgh = ½mv² + ΔE

But seems like there is no other way around.

Physics news on Phys.org
Impulse is also defined as the change of momentum of a body.

lewando said:
Impulse is also defined as the change of momentum of a body.

Unclear of what you are trying to say here. Yes, I do get that impulse is same as the change of momentum, but how can I approach this problem? Is it just by using the impulse and momentum form or solve that problem using energy laws and then, the momentum rules? Still confused. Not helpful.

Hi,
On the other hand I=Δv*m so you need to calculate the speeds of the ball after dropping and after bouncing using the equation mgh=½mv^2. When the ball is dropped its potential energy changes into kinetic energy and after the bounce vice versa.
I hope this helps.

Still stumped. Still not sure how to approach this problem. You might want to give the reasons for such explanation. -__-

Impulse is change in momentum. You can figure out the velocities from immediately before and after the ball bounces using suvat equations; from these you know the momentum before and after the ball bounces.
Difference is the impulse.

NasuSama said:
Still stumped. Still not sure how to approach this problem. You might want to give the reasons for such explanation. -__-
I suppose this was your homework but...
I=Δv*m=m(v_b-v_a), where v_b=velocity before the bounce
v_a=velocity after the bounce
h_before=5.92m
m=0.225kg h_after=4.58m

Let's solve for v
mgh=½mv^2 |:m |*2
2gh=v^2
v=√(2gh)
v_b=√(2gh_b)
... and v_a=√(2gh_a)

I=m*((√(2gh_b))-(√(2gh_a)))...

lep11 said:
I suppose this was your homework but...
I=Δv*m=m(v_b-v_a), where v_b=velocity before the bounce
v_a=velocity after the bounce
h_before=5.92m
m=0.225kg h_after=4.58m

Let's solve for v
mgh=½mv^2 |:m |*2
2gh=v^2
v=√(2gh)
v_b=√(2gh_b)
... and v_a=√(2gh_a)

I=m*((√(2gh_b))-(√(2gh_a)))...

Still not working. Not sure how you prove this.

NasuSama said:
Still not working. Not sure how you prove this.
Why not working?

lep11 said:
Why not working?

Even though your calculation is right, it seems that I obtain the wrong value. Yes, I did 0.292 J*s, but it's incorrect. Don't get quite why. Maybe, that is because you are determining the impulse of the ball.

Show your work.

I believe that is...

mgh_0 = ½mv0²
v0 = √(2gh_0)

½mvf² = mgh_f
vf = √(2gh_f)

That is by some kind of energy conservation.

Then, I guess that...

P = m√(2gh_f) - m√(2gh_0)

So there is negative impulse.

for right before v = -10.772, for right after v = +9.47...

change in momentum is (9.47)(.225) - (-10.772)(.225) - = 4.55 = impulse

bdh, you gave away the answer. Anywho, thanks.

I'm sorry you were on the right track and i wasn't patient enough but just try to remember momentum is a vector so the velocities will have a direction attached to them...

1. What is the impulse problem?

The impulse problem is a scientific concept that refers to the change in momentum of an object when a force is applied to it over a certain period of time. It is essentially a measure of how much an object's velocity changes due to an external force.

2. Why is the impulse problem important?

The impulse problem is important because it helps us understand and analyze the effects of forces on objects in motion. It allows us to calculate the change in an object's velocity, which can be useful in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics.

3. How is the impulse problem calculated?

The impulse problem is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time over which it acts. This can be represented by the equation J = F * Δt, where J is the impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time interval.

4. What are some real-life examples of the impulse problem?

Some real-life examples of the impulse problem include a soccer player kicking a ball, a car crashing into a wall, and a baseball being hit by a bat. In each of these scenarios, a force is applied to an object over a certain period of time, resulting in a change in the object's momentum.

5. How is the impulse problem related to Newton's laws of motion?

The impulse problem is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. The impulse problem is essentially a measurement of the change in an object's momentum, which is directly related to its acceleration according to Newton's second law.