How Do You Calculate Using the MOND Formula?

• Thread starter christian_dude_27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula mond
In summary, this theory suggests that the Newtonian formula may not be exactly correct and suggests what the true formula might look like. However, the theory is still just speculation at this time and cannot be used to actually do any calculations.
christian_dude_27
I need some help with the formula from the MOND Theory. I just want to understand it and be able to do it myself without any help, but that just didn't happen. so i need some help from professionals. the formula is:

F=mµ(a/a0)a

I know that symbol in there is "Micro" (µ) but i don't know what it's value is, nor do i know what the constant he uses value is (a0). can someone please help me with this formula?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you Doc, I've seen and printed that very document, but what i was talking about, which none of the articles I've read don't tell me, is what the value of the Micro symbol is in this equation, or for that matter, what the constant is either or how to use it. I'm not a calculus student, (Algebra II) and don't know squat on how to do this, but would like too and i know there's not much to it. I'm not good at functions either, which this thing seems to have.

The link explains that µ is a function of (a/a0), not a constant; a0 is a constant and is given. Not sure how seriously you should be taking this theory. (Edit: I'll move this to Cosmology.)

Last edited:
could you perhaps run the math by with me? i mean, make a scenerio so that i can see how the work is done and explain it to me?

Don't know if anybody is still following this thread but to clarify ...

The MOND "formula" is not really a true formula and the MOND "theory" is not a true theory. The theory is really just a suggestion that the Newtonion formula may not be exactly correct and suggests what the true formula might look like without giving details. So you can't really use MOND to do an actual calculation.

Although I find the MOND theory interesting it probably is better treated as speculation at this time that as a proper theory, IMHO at least.

1. What is the MOND formula?

The MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics) formula is a modification of Newton's law of gravity that attempts to explain the observed discrepancies between the predicted and observed velocities of stars in galaxies.

2. How does the MOND formula work?

The MOND formula introduces a new constant, called "a0", which modifies Newton's law of gravity at low accelerations. This modification allows for a better fit to observed galactic rotation curves.

3. What evidence supports the MOND formula?

Several observational studies have found that the MOND formula provides a better fit to galactic rotation curves than the standard Newtonian formula. Additionally, the MOND formula has been successful in predicting the dynamics of galaxy clusters.

4. Are there any criticisms of the MOND formula?

Yes, the MOND formula has been met with some criticism from the scientific community. Some argue that it is ad hoc and lacks a fundamental theoretical basis. Others point out that it has difficulty explaining certain observations, such as the Bullet Cluster.

5. How is the MOND formula relevant to our understanding of dark matter?

The MOND formula is one proposed alternative to the theory of dark matter, which posits that there is a large amount of unseen matter in the universe that cannot be explained by known forms of matter. The MOND formula suggests that there may be no need for dark matter, as the observed phenomena can be explained by modifications to the laws of gravity.