Solving for x(t) in a Nonlinear Differential Equation - Expert Help Needed

• Thread starter Amok
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution to a linear equation with known constants and initial conditions. The solution involves finding a general solution to the associated homogeneous equation and a single solution to the entire equation. The process involves separating the equation, integrating, and solving for the unknown variable. The speaker acknowledges that they knew how to solve the problem but were being intellectually lazy.
Amok
Hey guys, can you help me to find a solution to this?

[tex] x'(t) = -\alpha_k t x(t) + Ce^{i(\alpha_k - \alpha_m)t^2} [/tex]

Where C and the alphas are known constants and the initial condition is that x(0) equals some constant. I have no idea on where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a "linear equation" so you can find the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation, [itex]x'= -\alpha_kt x[/itex], and a single solution to the entire equation and add them.

Of course, [itex]x'= -\alpha_k tx[/itex] "separates" into
[tex]\frac{dx}{x}= -\alpha_k t dt[/itex]
which can be easily integrated to give
[tex]x= Ae^{-\alpha_k t^2/2[/tex]

To find a single solution to the entire equation, look for a solution of the form
[tex]x(t)= u(t)e^{-\alpha_k t^2/2}[/itex]
so that
[tex]x'= u' e^{-\alpha_k t^2/2}- \alpha_k t e{-\alpha_k t^2/2}[/itex]
and putting that into the differential equation gives
[tex] u' e^{-\alpha_k t^2/2}- \alpha_k t u e{-\alpha_k t^2/2}= -\alpha_k t u e^{-\alpha_k t^2/2}+ Ce^{i(\alpha_k- \alpha_m)t^2[/tex]

The
[tex]-\alpha_k t u e^{-\alpha_k t^2}[/itex]
terms cancel leaving
[tex]u'e^{-\alpha_k t^2/2}= Ce^{i(\alpha_k- \alpha_m)t^2[/tex]
so you can now solve for u(t).

Actually, I knew how to do that. It was pure intellectual laziness (variation of constants), shame on me. Thanks HOI.

1. What is a differential equation (DE)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a function changes over time. It involves an unknown function and its derivatives, and is used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do I solve a DE?

There are various methods for solving a DE, depending on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. It is important to understand the type of DE you are dealing with and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

3. What is the order of a DE?

The order of a DE is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order DE involves the first derivative of the unknown function, while a second-order DE involves the second derivative.

4. Can I use a computer to solve a DE?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available that can help you solve DEs. These programs use numerical methods to approximate the solution to a DE, which can be useful for complex equations that cannot be solved analytically.

5. Why are DEs important in science?

DEs are important in science because they provide a way to model and understand real-world phenomena. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to describe how systems change over time. By solving DEs, we can make predictions and gain insights into natural processes.