Converting a 3D Line Equation: Help Needed for Homework

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: You are solving for y in terms of t, but what about x? x=t z can be expressed in terms of t but what about y? By solving I get y=-2. How should I express it in terms of t?Taking x= t, we then have t+ y+ 2z- 3= 0 and 2t+ 3y+ 4z- 4= 0 or y+ 2z= 3- t and 3y+ 4z= 4- 2t. Multiplying the first equation by 2, 2y+ 4z= 6- 2t. Subtracting that from the second equation, y= (4- 2t)-
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have been given a line in 3D space whose equation is x+y+2z-3=2x+3y+4z-4=0.
But what kind of equation is this? This is not a standard equation and I have never seen such an equation of line. It seems to me a plane instead of a line. Can anyone help me convert this into standard form?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two equations between the three coordinates, i.e., you have one independent parameter. You can take, e.g., [itex]x[/itex] as this independent parameter and solve for [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex]. Then you get a parameter representation of a curve
[tex]\vec{r}(x)=\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y(x) \\ z(x) \end{pmatrix}. [/tex]
Because the system of equations is linear this curve is a straight line.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

But what kind of equation is this? This is not a standard equation and I have never seen such an equation of line. It seems to me a plane instead of a line. Can anyone help me convert this into standard form?

x+y+2z-3=0 and 2x+3y+4z-4=0 are equations of two planes. All common points of both planes make the intersection of those planes, which is a straight line.

ehild

The question is what do you consider the "standard form" for a line? There are two forms usually used for lines in three dimensions:
The "symmetric form" Ax+ By+ Cz+ D= Ex+ Fy+ Gz+ H= Ix+ Jy+ Kz+ L which is the form you already have and, as ehild says, can be interpreted as defining the line as the intersection of two planes.

The "parametric form" where x= f(t), y= g(t), z= h(t) for some parameter t. This can be interpreted as an object moving along a line with t giving the time.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

It looks like you are given a badly-written pair of linear equations, namely, x+y+2z-3 = 0 and 2x+3y+4z-4=0. As others have said, this describes two (non-parallel) planes in 3D, so taken together they describe a line. You can get a parametric form by solving for two of the variables in terms of the third; for example, solve for x and y in terms of z. Again, as others have said, I don't know what you regard as a "standard form".

Thanks to all of you!

When I assume x=t z can be expressed in terms of t but what about y? By solving I get y=-2. How should I express it in terms of t?

x+y+2z-3=2x+3y+4z-4=0.

Taking x= t, we then have t+ y+ 2z- 3= 0 and 2t+ 3y+ 4z- 4= 0 or
y+ 2z= 3- t and 3y+ 4z= 4- 2t.
Multiplying the first equation by 2, 2y+ 4z= 6- 2t. Subtracting that from the second equation,
y= (4- 2t)- (6- 2t)= -2 for all t. That is what you have. Excellent! That says that y is a contstant not depending on t. If you like, you can write it as y= -2+ 0t but just "y= -2" is correct.

utkarshakash said:
When I assume x=t z can be expressed in terms of t but what about y? By solving I get y=-2. How should I express it in terms of t?

What is wrong with the simple parametric equation y = -2 + 0*t?

1. What is an equation of a line?

An equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a graph. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I find the equation of a line?

To find the equation of a line, you need to know the coordinates of two points on the line. Then, you can use the slope formula (m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) to find the slope, and plug the slope and one of the points into the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) to find the y-intercept. This will give you the equation of the line.

3. What is the point-slope form of a line?

The point-slope form of a line is another way to write the equation of a line. It is written as y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope. This form is useful for finding the equation of a line when given a point and the slope.

4. How do I graph a line using its equation?

To graph a line using its equation, you can use the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) or the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)). Plot the y-intercept (b) on the y-axis, and use the slope (m) to find additional points on the line. Then, connect the points to create a straight line.

5. Can I use an equation of a line to find the slope and y-intercept?

Yes, you can use an equation of a line to find the slope (m) and y-intercept (b). In the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b), m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. In the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)), m is also the slope and (x1, y1) is a point on the line that can be used to find the y-intercept.