1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this equation of line

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been given a line in 3D space whose equation is x+y+2z-3=2x+3y+4z-4=0.
    But what kind of equation is this? This is not a standard equation and I have never seen such an equation of line. It seems to me a plane instead of a line. Can anyone help me convert this into standard form?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You have two equations between the three coordinates, i.e., you have one independent parameter. You can take, e.g., [itex]x[/itex] as this independent parameter and solve for [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex]. Then you get a parameter representation of a curve
    [tex]\vec{r}(x)=\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y(x) \\ z(x) \end{pmatrix}. [/tex]
    Because the system of equations is linear this curve is a straight line.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x+y+2z-3=0 and 2x+3y+4z-4=0 are equations of two planes. All common points of both planes make the intersection of those planes, which is a straight line.

ehild

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The question is what do you consider the "standard form" for a line? There are two forms usually used for lines in three dimensions:
    The "symmetric form" Ax+ By+ Cz+ D= Ex+ Fy+ Gz+ H= Ix+ Jy+ Kz+ L which is the form you already have and, as ehild says, can be interpreted as defining the line as the intersection of two planes.

The "parametric form" where x= f(t), y= g(t), z= h(t) for some parameter t. This can be interpreted as an object moving along a line with t giving the time.

6. Jan 28, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like you are given a badly-written pair of linear equations, namely, x+y+2z-3 = 0 and 2x+3y+4z-4=0. As others have said, this describes two (non-parallel) planes in 3D, so taken together they describe a line. You can get a parametric form by solving for two of the variables in terms of the third; for example, solve for x and y in terms of z. Again, as others have said, I don't know what you regard as a "standard form".

7. Jan 28, 2014 #6

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Thanks to all of you!

8. Jan 29, 2014 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

When I assume x=t z can be expressed in terms of t but what about y? By solving I get y=-2. How should I express it in terms of t?

9. Jan 29, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

x+y+2z-3=2x+3y+4z-4=0.

Taking x= t, we then have t+ y+ 2z- 3= 0 and 2t+ 3y+ 4z- 4= 0 or
    y+ 2z= 3- t and 3y+ 4z= 4- 2t.
    Multiplying the first equation by 2, 2y+ 4z= 6- 2t. Subtracting that from the second equation,
    y= (4- 2t)- (6- 2t)= -2 for all t. That is what you have. Excellent! That says that y is a contstant not depending on t. If you like, you can write it as y= -2+ 0t but just "y= -2" is correct.

10. Jan 29, 2014 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is wrong with the simple parametric equation y = -2 + 0*t?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted