Solve System of Equations for Unique Solution | Exam Prep

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, to find a third equation that will provide a unique solution for the unknowns x, y, and z, you can either find an equation where the vector of coefficients is not a linear combination of the vectors from the other two equations, or you can solve the first two equations for x and y in terms of z and then create a linear equation using those values.
Naeem
I have a system of equations

2x + 4y - z = 2
x - y + 2z = 1

I need to find a third equation so that there is a unique solution for the unknows x , y and z, and find them.

Please help

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Naeem said:
I have a system of equations

2x + 4y - z = 2
x - y + 2z = 1

I need to find a third equation so that there is a unique solution for the unknows x , y and z, and find them.

Please help

Thanks,
Just FYI, this belongs in the homework section, but anyway: all's you need to do is find an equation such that the vector whose entries are the coefficents of the x, y and z variables is not a linear combination of the two vectors obtained from the other two equations. Pretty much all you need to do is make a guess and check that it works. To make life easy you should probably pick an easy equation like x=something.

Or: solve the two equations for x, y in terms of z. Choose whatever value for z you want, calculate x,y for that z and just make up a linear equation that they will solve (for example x+ y+ z= whatever their actual sum is).

1. What is the best way to prepare for an exam tomorrow?

The best way to prepare for an exam tomorrow is to start studying early and create a study plan. Make sure to review all material covered in class, take practice exams, and get a good night's sleep.

2. How can I stay focused and motivated while studying for an exam tomorrow?

To stay focused and motivated while studying for an exam tomorrow, try setting small goals and rewarding yourself when you achieve them. Take short breaks to avoid burnout and stay hydrated and well-rested.

3. What are some effective study techniques for preparing for an exam tomorrow?

Some effective study techniques for preparing for an exam tomorrow include active reading, creating flashcards, teaching the material to someone else, and using mnemonic devices to help remember important information.

4. How can I manage my time effectively when studying for an exam tomorrow?

To manage your time effectively when studying for an exam tomorrow, prioritize your study material and focus on the most important topics first. Use a timer to break up your study sessions and stay on track.

5. What should I do if I still need help with the material before my exam tomorrow?

If you still need help with the material before your exam tomorrow, reach out to your teacher or classmates for clarification. You can also seek tutoring or attend review sessions to get extra help and improve your understanding of the material.