Solving Integrals Involving Complex Exponentials

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Physics problem by rewriting a cosine term as a complex exponential and using an identity to integrate it. The person then asks for clarification and possible alternative methods.
Xyius
Hello all,

I am working on a Physics problem and it boils down to solving the following integral.

[tex]\int_0^{∞}e^{-\frac{t^2}{\tau^2}}e^{i\omega_{kn} t}\cos(\omega_0 t)[/tex]

What I did was re-write the cosine term as..

[tex]cos(\omega_0 t)=e^{i\omega_0 t}[/tex]

Where in the above expression it is understood that one takes the real part of the exponential. I then plugged it into the above integral expression, completed the square inside the exponential, then used the following identity.

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}e^{-a(x+b)^2}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

I then added a factor of 1/2 in the above expression since the limits are only going from 0 to ∞.

But I have a few questions / problems with this.

1. What if the trigonometric function were a sine? My method I did here would still produce the same answer. Is this correct?

2. I have a problem with combining the real part of one complex exponential with the entire part of another complex exponential. Doesn't seem like it would be okay to do.

3. Are there any other ways to integrate this?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
Hello all,

I am working on a Physics problem and it boils down to solving the following integral.

[tex]\int_0^{∞}e^{-\frac{t^2}{\tau^2}}e^{i\omega_{kn} t}\cos(\omega_0 t)[/tex]

What I did was re-write the cosine term as..

[tex]cos(\omega_0 t)=e^{i\omega_0 t}[/tex]

Where in the above expression it is understood that one takes the real part of the exponential. I then plugged it into the above integral expression, completed the square inside the exponential, then used the following identity.

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}e^{-a(x+b)^2}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

I then added a factor of 1/2 in the above expression since the limits are only going from 0 to ∞.

But I have a few questions / problems with this.

1. What if the trigonometric function were a sine? My method I did here would still produce the same answer. Is this correct?

2. I have a problem with combining the real part of one complex exponential with the entire part of another complex exponential. Doesn't seem like it would be okay to do.

That step worries me too. Why don't you just substitute$$
\cos(\omega_0t) = \frac{e^{i\omega_0t}+e^{-i\omega_0t}}{2}$$and just work it out? Just a suggestion because I haven't tried it.

Don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks! I'll go through it now.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a way to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is essential to understand the fundamental rules of integration and practice solving problems to improve your skills.

3. What are the applications of integrals?

Integrals have numerous real-world applications, such as calculating areas and volumes, finding the average value of a function, and solving differential equations. They are also used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using the wrong substitution, and making errors in algebraic simplification. It is crucial to check your work carefully and practice to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator or online integral calculator to solve integrals. However, it is essential to understand the steps involved in solving an integral to use these tools effectively.