Find M in \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{M} \cos x dx= 1.5 with Expert Tips

• Thread starter ziddy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to solve for M in the given equation, you can use the antiderivative of cos, which is sin. Then, setting the antiderivative equal to 1.5, you can solve for M by subtracting the initial value of -π/2. After realizing there was a typo in the second post, the correct equation is sin M + 1 = 1.5.
ziddy83
Hey what's up..I need a little help with the following problem.

If [tex]\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{M} \cos x dx= 1.5}[/tex], find M.

How do I go about doing this? I know that...the anti derivative of cos is sin, and that [tex] \sin x \right]_{-\frac{pi}{2}}^{M} = 1.5[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sin x |^M_{-\pi/2} = \sin M - (-\pi/2) = 1.5[/tex]

Are you ok from there?

ahhh..DUH! goshh...how did i NOT see that? Thanks man...haha...

It was a typo/error in post #2.

[tex] \sin x\left |_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{M}\right =1.5\Rightarrow \sin M+\sin\frac{\pi}{2}=1.5\Rightarrow \sin M +1 =1.5[/tex]

Daniel.

Oops! You're right, of course.

What is an integral and how is it used in science?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. In science, it is used to calculate quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume, which are important in understanding various phenomena.

Why do scientists need help with integrals?

Integrals can be complex and difficult to solve, especially when dealing with real-world problems. Scientists may need help with integrals to accurately model and understand the behavior of physical systems.

What are some common techniques used to solve integrals?

Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These methods involve manipulating the integral to make it easier to solve.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes include incorrect substitution, forgetting to use the chain rule, and not paying attention to the limits of integration. It is important to carefully check each step when solving an integral to avoid errors.

How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

Practice is key to improving skills in solving integrals. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and to seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor.