Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this integral

1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    Hey. I'm new to the forum and I was hoping you could help me solve this integral. I was searching for a clue on similar integrals posted on internet, but I couldnt find anything helpful.

The integral is in attachment

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2
    I have not worked this out but the substitution u = cos(x) followed by partial fractions seems like it could do the trick.

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3
    does t=tan(x/2) work in this case?

5. Aug 21, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's wrong with u = cos(x) as suggested above?

6. Aug 21, 2014 #5
    Nothing really. I just have difficulties recognizing what I should take as a substitution.

EDIT: If I take u=cosx, du=-sinx dx which makes dx=-du/sinx ... and everywhere else there's "u" instead of "cosx"

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. Aug 21, 2014 #6
    You already have sin x dx under the integral. That becomes -du, all your cosines become u, and you get integral of [itex]\frac{4(u-1)}{u^2(2-u)}[/itex]

8. Aug 21, 2014 #7
    wow...just WOW... I didnt even notice there's "sinx" in the numerator, how stupid of me. Thank you and I'm really sorry for wasting your time.

9. Aug 31, 2014 #8
    If you do integration by substitution than partial fractions you can get the the right answer

You also had sin(x)sin(x) at the bottom
    (which is cos^2(x) which will help you greatly)

10. Sep 14, 2014 #9

phion

Gold Member

Try multiplying the numerator and denominator by [sec(x)]^2, then do the substitutions.

11. Sep 14, 2014 #10

phion

Gold Member

You might need to substitute twice, meaning you'll want to back-substitute twice into your final answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook