1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this question.

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i came across this question while revising, can someone talk me through it please. I need to calculate the dimensional change.

The stator of an electric motor winding is to be expansion fitted into its housing. if the diameter of the stator at 20 degrees C is 150.1 mm and the diameter of the housing is at 20 degrees C is 150 mm, determine the temperature to which the housing must be raised to facilitate the assemble.

The coefficient is 12x10 ^-6 degrees

2. Relevant equations

∆L/L = α∆T, α is linear thermal expansion coef
    3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    You are given L, α and ∆L is something you can calculate (how much stretching do you need?). Then use that equation to solve for ∆T.

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    do you mind showing me how to do it ? with a different question perhaps? i have just started to learn and im not very good at maths

5. May 10, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi naim! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

You provided this equation: ∆L/L = α∆T, α is linear thermal expansion coef
    and you said The coefficient is 12x10 ^-6 degrees

I think the coefficient of linear expansion should be expressed "per degree", i.e., 12x10 ^-6 /degree
    and you should have been told whether Celcius or Farenheit

So the first step in to fill in the information you know:
    L =
    ∆L =
    α =
    ∆T =

If necessary, convert the above to standard units because equations always require that the data be expressed in standard units.

Next, re-arrange the equation so the unknown quantity is on one side by itself.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. May 10, 2012 #5
    Thanks dude :)

7. May 13, 2012 #6
    can someone help me with this ?

Dry steam is compressed isothermally from a pressure of 1 bar to 4 bar. if the initial volume is 0.5 m^3, calculate the volume of the steam after compression

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook