Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this series.

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{e^{-(nx)^2}}{n^{1-m}}[/tex]

Where m is an integer and 0<x<oo. I need a closed form solution, and was thinking something along the lines of a theta-type function, but cannot seem to locate any identities that match. Anyone have a suggestion?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

rman144,

I'm curious what you consider "closed form" and what you will use it for (analysis, numerics, etc.). Clearly, for x>1 this is an excellent representation that converges quickly - I would be surprised if a theta function (or hypergeometric or a G-function or ...) would be any "simpler" in reality or easier to compute, although on paper you may be able to write a small number of special functions, at best. Of course for x<1 the series may leave something to be desired, as I am pretty sure it can have a large number of terms with increasing magnitude before the terms start to decrease.

Just curious.

Jason

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

rman144,

I just re-read my post - it sounds like I am questioning the utility of finding another representation of the series. I didn't mean it that way - honest! I'm guessing most of us have been in a similar situation of looking for a nicer representation that may yield more insight, allow us to use well documented properties of known functions, allow us to use code we already have to compute it, etc. Anyway, I really am curious about the source of the series. Also, are there any other constraints on m beyond being an integer (even/odd, positive/negative)?

Regards,

Jason

5. Aug 7, 2009 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Perhaps replace the exponential by its Taylor series, switch the double sums? It's something to try.

6. Aug 11, 2009 #5
    Lol, I took no offense. Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook