Integrate Spiral on YZ Plane | Location X | Need Help with Problem

• Thread starter starbaj12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spiral
In summary, The conversation discusses the integration of a spiral on the yz plane with a center at the origin. The individual is at a specific location on the x-axis and is seeking to find a vector field directed along the x-axis. They mention using polar coordinates, but are unsure of how to proceed. They also mention alpha, which represents the angle subtended by a radius at the point of observation on the x-axis. The conversation concludes with suggestions to parameterize the curve and take the line integral of a function along the curve.
starbaj12
There is a spiral but it is just on the yz plane (no length to it) I need to integrate it. And I'm at a location x on the axis if it matters.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to calculate? its lenght? if so, let [itex]M(t)[/itex] be your curve, as long as [itex]M'(t) \ne 0[/itex] then

[tex]Length[M]=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \sqrt{\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2}ds[/tex]

alpha; which is the angle subtended by a radius at the point of observation (x).

I'm sorry but I can't make heads or tails of this.

"There is a spiral but it is just on the yz plane (no length to it) I need to integrate it."
?? You can't integrate a spiral, you can only integrate a function.

"alpha; which is the angle subtended by a radius at the point of observation (x)."

What about alpha? A single line does not "subtend" an angle. And what is the "point of observation"?

What does "subtend " mean ? Can't you mathematicians puy it in words ordinary people can understand . Also "leght " is spelled "length". The expression is "head or tail "for a single event not "heads and tails ". You mathematicians are so precise in everything except the lagauge used to express your ideas .

Sorry "put" not puy (slip of the finger )

The spiral has a center in the yzx axis (it is like a coil but flat so the radius gets bigger) You can do this by polar coordinates (I was told), but I do not know how. I need to find a vector field that is directed along the x axis. And alpha is the angle subtended by a radius at the point on x.

pete1141 said:
What does "subtend " mean ? Can't you mathematicians puy it in words ordinary people can understand . Also "leght " is spelled "length". The expression is "head or tail "for a single event not "heads and tails ". You mathematicians are so precise in everything except the lagauge used to express your ideas .

He used "subtend" perfectlly...if it were a helix, but its a spiral, so there is no angle. The rest of your complaint is about typos and dialects, which is pointless to get mad about.

starbaj12, I think you'll need to be more specific in your request for help.

-Burg

Line integrals of three space

You can find it by parameterizing the curve. Spirals are pretty easy to parameterize and would be similar to: x=cos(t) y=sin(t) z=t. Then you can take the integral from start to finish of f(x(t),y(t))|ds|dt. You can find this by looking in the index of any calculus book under line integrals in 3-space or something similar. This isn't usually done until Calculus III, so it would be towards the back of the book.

also, as halls of ivy just said, you can't go integrating blindly, you need to do it by pieces (where the length is well defined, [itex]M'(t)\ne 0[/itex])

1. What is the spiral problem?

The spiral problem is a mathematical problem that involves creating a spiral pattern using a set of numbers or geometric shapes.

2. How do you solve the spiral problem?

The spiral problem can be solved by following a specific set of steps, depending on the specific problem. Generally, the problem involves identifying a pattern or rule, and then using that pattern to continue the spiral until the desired shape or number sequence is achieved.

3. What are some common strategies for solving spiral problems?

Some common strategies for solving spiral problems include identifying patterns and rules, using mathematical equations or formulas, and visualizing the pattern using diagrams or drawings.

4. Can you provide an example of a spiral problem and its solution?

One example of a spiral problem is creating a spiral using the Fibonacci sequence (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, ...). The solution would involve starting with the first two numbers and then adding the previous two numbers to create the next number in the sequence. The spiral would continue by adding the next two numbers and so on.

5. Why are spiral problems important in science?

Spiral problems are important in science because they can help us understand patterns and relationships in nature. They can also be used to model and predict real-world phenomena, such as the growth of plants or the movement of galaxies. Additionally, solving spiral problems can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in scientific research.