Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this Spiral problem

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    There is a spiral but it is just on the yz plane (no length to it) I need to integrate it. And I'm at a location x on the axis if it matters.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2
    What do you want to calculate? its lenght? if so, let [itex]M(t)[/itex] be your curve, as long as [itex]M'(t) \ne 0[/itex] then

[tex]Length[M]=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \sqrt{\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2}ds[/tex]

4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    alpha; which is the angle subtended by a radius at the point of observation (x).

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm sorry but I can't make heads or tails of this.

"There is a spiral but it is just on the yz plane (no length to it) I need to integrate it."
    ?? You can't integrate a spiral, you can only integrate a function.

"alpha; which is the angle subtended by a radius at the point of observation (x)."

What about alpha? A single line does not "subtend" an angle. And what is the "point of observation"?

6. Dec 5, 2004 #5
    What does "subtend " mean ? Can't you mathematicians puy it in words ordinary people can understand . Also "leght " is spelled "length". The expression is "head or tail "for a single event not "heads and tails ". You mathematicians are so precise in everything except the laguage used to express your ideas .

7. Dec 5, 2004 #6
    Sorry "put" not puy (slip of the finger )

8. Dec 5, 2004 #7
    The spiral has a center in the yzx axis (it is like a coil but flat so the radius gets bigger) You can do this by polar coordinates (I was told), but I do not know how. I need to find a vector field that is directed along the x axis. And alpha is the angle subtended by a radius at the point on x.

9. Dec 5, 2004 #8

He used "subtend" perfectlly...if it were a helix, but its a spiral, so there is no angle. The rest of your complaint is about typos and dialects, which is pointless to get mad about.

starbaj12, I think you'll need to be more specific in your request for help.

-Burg

10. Dec 6, 2004 #9
    Line integrals of three space

You can find it by parameterizing the curve. Spirals are pretty easy to parameterize and would be similar to: x=cos(t) y=sin(t) z=t. Then you can take the integral from start to finish of f(x(t),y(t))|ds|dt. You can find this by looking in the index of any calculus book under line integrals in 3-space or something similar. This isn't usually done until Calculus III, so it would be towards the back of the book.

11. Dec 6, 2004 #10
    also, as halls of ivy just said, you cant go integrating blindly, you need to do it by pieces (where the lenght is well defined, [itex]M'(t)\ne 0[/itex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?