Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this system of DEs

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    \frac{dx}{dt} = -5x+2xy[/tex]
    \frac{dy}{dt} = -4y+3xy

Are these linear or nonlinear? I'm inclined to say non-linear but using maple it tells me it's linear ( odeadvisor(ode1, [linear]); returns [_linear] where ode1 is dx/dt).

Also, are they competitive or cooperative? I know it's not predator prey. I've graphed it and all solutions tend to 0, but I don't know what type that is (I can't find an explanation of cooperative/competitive anywhere on the internet)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the first question, they are definitely non-linear (xy terms). Maple is just wrong.

I can't answer the second question.
  4. Nov 6, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apparently, you asked Maple whether the first equation is linear - which it is. With respect to the first equation alone, y = y(t) and it's clearly linear in the dependent variable x. The real question is whether the system of equations is linear - which it is not since the equations involve a product of the variables x and y.

For the second question you will have to resort to reading your textbook to know what the authors mean by cooperative vs. competitive.
  5. Nov 6, 2004 #4
    OK thanks, I thought it had something to do with me just asking it about the one equation instead of the system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?